Chapter 14

It honestly felt weird walking back into my CEO position like my entire world hadn't just changed. It felt like everyone knew, but I knew it was just my own mind working against me. Most of the staff was either to respectful to ever acknowledge my personal business or they just didn't care.

I walked into my office, stopping when I saw someone sitting at my desk. They were to busy playing with their phone to notice me. When they finally looked up I realized it was Alec. The boy quickly jumped to his feet in surprise and smiled awkwardly at me.

"Sorry, I was waiting awhile and I got tired of standing," he explained. I really didn't care if he sat in my chair. I wasn't that crude of a person to crucify him for sitting.

"It's fine. I like to sit and work in the lounge anyway. It's a lot more open and peaceful there," I responded with a smile. Alec smiled back at me, regret suddenly feeling the air. I heard the apology in my mind before he even said it.

"Alec, you don't have to apologize. You were just protecting your friend," I made clear. Alec shook his head and stepped forward.

"I called you out of your name and said some things about you that I shouldn't have said. Alex was right in stating that none of this was your fault," Alec replied.

We both stood in silence, trying to figure out where to go from here. Alec and William had always had a hostile attitude towards me so it was hard to build any kind of friendship with them.

"Umm...Athena's having a small party at her and Alex's....I guess it's just her place now. Alex doesn't come home very often and now that I realize it Patrick spends more time with her," Alec pondered.

"Wait, she didn't tell you?" I asked.

Alec gave me an unknowing look that made me chuckle a little. I guess she had forgot to mention that Alex wasn't her baby daddy.

"Patrick's the dad," I revealed. Alec blinked at me several times before his jaw dropped.

"You're kidding!" He exclaimed.

"She came clean to us when I was in the hospital. Her and Patrick have had a thing since high school I guess," I explained even further.

"I know about that, but I thought they decided to stop that once Alex and her got serious. I guess I was wrong," Alec figured with a slight laugh.

"Anyways, she told me to invite you. Just to make amends about all of this," Alec said as he walked towards the door.

"Of course, I'll be there," I smiled back. With a nod Alec was off. It felt strangely satisfying to know that Alec didn't hate my guts anymore.

A knock at my door quickly distracted me from my happy thoughts as someone entered. I looked them up and down questioningly, wondering who they were.

"Goodmorning Mr.Nicholls, my name is Noah and I'm your new assistant," the beta announced. I had completely forgotten about my request for an assistant. I was so busy with my pregnancy and looking for houses with Alex that I had forgotten all about it.

He was an attractive fair skinned boy with curly hair that ran down the sides of his face and the back of his neck beautifully. His brown eyes were friendly and his smile slightly awkward. He had first day nerves and he didn't care to hide it.

 He had first day nerves and he didn't care to hide it

"Oh, right! It's nice to meet you Noah. The hiring manager forgot to notify me that they hired you, so you caught me by surprise," I explained to the boy.

"Well, do you need me to set up a direct line with them so this doesn't happen again. I know how frustrating it can be to..."

I shook my head, stopping Noah before he got ahead of himself. "There's one already set up, but I love that your already trying to solve problems before I even assign you a task. It's a good quality to have," I smiled. A light dusting of pinkness ran across the beta's face from the compliment.

"I really take pride in my work ethic. It's..."

I stopped him again by placing my hand up. "Relax Noah. This isn't an interview nor am I trying to test you. Your allowed to be yourself. I hate when things are overly professional when there isn't a need for it," I explained. That kind of environment always ended up stressing everyone out.

Noah nodded, taking a mental note of everything I said. Honestly, I thought he was adorable and a bit of a tease. I didn't realize he was taller than me until he walked further into my office and sat down the folders he was holding on my desk.

"I'm a bit of an over achiever so I printed out all the paper work that needs to be signed and scanned before the day is out," he explained. I raised my eyebrow at him and nodded. I was impressed. I'd definitely have to give the hiring staff their props.

Just then Alex entered my office with flowers in his hand. The Alpha was dressed in an all black button up that was unbuttoned at the top and black fitted pants with an expensive pair of dress shoes.

"Alex, hey. What are you doing here?" I asked, feeling my face burn with second hand embarrassment. I couldn't help but blush.

"I came to give you flowers. When I woke up this morning you were gone and I was disappointed that I didn't get to see you out," he explained. He then kissed me on the cheek and handed me the roses.

"You didn't have to..."

"I wanted to," he said, cutting me off with a gentle kiss to the lips. He was incredibly touchy today. Even more than usual.

"Thank you, but I'm working," I reminded him while nudging my head towards Noah's direction. The silent beta hadn't said a word. In fact he acted like we weren't even there. He made himself busy by sitting down in one of the reclining chair and pulling out his laptop.

"Sorry, I just wanted to surprise you. I'll fix it," Alex whispered to me. I watched as Alex walked over to Noah and stuck his hand out.

"Hello, I'm Alex Ruygrok. Sorry for interrupting you," he apologized. Noah quickly stood up and shook his hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Ruygrok. I didn't think I'd be meeting you today. Everyone's tells me that you only come by during board meetings," Noah explained.

"And to surprise my pregnant boyfriend," Alex laughed. I notice a little bitterness behind that statement. Like he was telling Noah to behave or else. Did Alex really feel threatened by my beta assistant. He had no reason to worry, I would never even think of cheating.

"Your pregnant?!" Noah exclaimed. I wasn't showing yet, so most people couldn't tell.

"As of last week," I smiled.

"Congratulations to the both of you," Noah said as he grabbed his laptop.

"I'm going to work on emailing you some invoices, so please feel free to ring me if you need something else," Noah said, swiftly taking his leave.

"You scared him away,"I mumbled.

Alex rolled his eyes and sat down in the chair in front of my desk.

"He likes you," Alex claimed.

"What? We just met," I clarified.

"That doesn't mean anything. I can always tell when someone likes you. They secretly stare at you when your not paying attention," Alex informed me.

"Well, you used to do that," I reminded him.

"Exactly!"