Scene 9 - Suspicion

We have faded into the control room of Arctica. Troy, Marina, Phones, Dr Moxax, and the Professor are all present. They stand around in a group with the control console behind them. We begin with Troy; from him, we extend out and are revealed to the control room.

Troy:

And there you go. The Commander said exactly the same. Seems as though neither Titan nor any undersea life form has set foot into Arctica.

Moxax:

You can check the instruments from here, Troy. It matches the Commander's story perfectly. What I don't understand is that being on duty I didn't even see them. If I had known I would have warned you immediately.

Dimplex:

If you don't mind Doctor if we check the controls ourselves.

Moxax:

By all means Professor.

The Professors inspect the controls carefully. They then conclude and select the white lever to activate what is about to be explained.

Dimplex:

There. It was a simple means of deactivating the defences.

She approaches the controls and seems to dither and fuss, placing her hand on her forehead as she suffers an attack.

Moxax:

Deactivating the defences? What have I... oh dear. I... I don't feel too well.

Troy holds her.

Troy:

Hay, are you feeling alright?

Moxax:

I don't know. I think I'm going crazy.

Dimplex:

It's all right Doctor. The Professor and I will take over.

Bagby:

Oh erm, yes. Yes we will. You just get yourself ready to leave.

Phones:

Well, it's been interesting in visiting Arctica. But we wish we could stay and learn more about the process. Right now, our orders are to get back to Marineville and prepare for tonight and our unnamed special guests.

Troy:

Let's go Doctor.

Moxax:

Thank you Troy. Goodbye gentlemen. See you tomorrow.

Bagby:

Goodbye Doctor. Have a good time tonight.

Dimplex:

Yes. Have a good time. And hope you start feeling better.

They leave, and the doors seal behind them.

Bagby:

Turning off the defence systems? I don't believe that for one moment!

Dimplex:

Then why didn't you say something?

Bagby:

But I just have. She seemed to be unwell or pretended to be anyway.

Dimplex:

How do you mean? She's probably just not feeling great. Some days are like that. Especially with a big party for her tonight.

Bagby:

That unfortunately we're missing out on. But I know, we have to run the place to ensure the automatics don't go wrong.

Dimplex:

She has a lot of pressure on her head. She is responsible for the entire plant here. And we are just her helpers.

Bagby:

And we'll get no credit from it.

Dimplex:

We've been through this all before.

Bagby:

No, but don't you think it is a little too coincidental the fact that the defences so happened to be offline when she is alone in here when there is an attack on Stingray by the WASPs greatest adversary? They could have been there for ages, and we never even knew a thing about it. What would have happened if they had taken over Arctica? That attack was premeditated, planned, and thought out.

Dimplex:

I think I'm beginning to see your point.

Bagby:

I didn't tell you, but earlier I came in here and saw her on a radio that is definitely not part of the base's. I asked her about it, and she dismissed it entirely and she looked all guilty and sounded nervous. The Doctor then ushered me away after that.

Dimplex:

Yes. It's all starting to make sense now. I'm glad you speak up when it's just us two, and not to her. And now you've got me worried about her. This entire operation is now in jeopardy, and I doubt we're going to hear the last of this.

We see the parking bay open its roof up for Stingray to slowly rise up out of it. The submarine then turns itself around as the hatch closes, before accelerating off into the distance. Dr Moxax stands behind Troy as he controls his ship.

Moxax:

A wonderful submarine you've got, Troy. I see it really does live up to its reputation.

Troy:

You can sure say that Dr Moxax. On course for Marineville!

We see Stingray accelerate off to the right of the screen as it returns to Marineville...