xxxix

Chapter Thirty-Nine: She Knows

The four of them met in a small coffee-shop in town, called Chaos Café, an ironic name, given how neat it was. White walls, bland artwork structurally spaced around the whole room, a black bench running across one wall behind square tables and cushioned chairs on the other side of them. There were potted plants in the windows and naked lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling. They sat outside, given how hot it was, in the cobbled street, small shops all around, all of them drinking something cool and refreshing, except Jisoo, who had a cup of tea. How she could do it in this heat, Jeongguk couldn't understand.

      At first, Hoseok and Jisoo did most of the talking, catching up, and meanwhile, Jeongguk listened, piecing together the puzzle of who this Jisoo really was. This was what he had found out so far: she owned a dog (it was big, white, and fluffy––and it demanded all her attention); she loved tea and always drank it in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon; and she worked in a bookstore, but she was currently working towards starting her own publishing house. There was a calmness to her, a sophistication––she seemed to have everything together, but she was also sweet, friendly, and she smiled a lot. She was gorgeous too, now wearing a black sundress with a square neck, tight around the waist. On the bridge of her nose sat black sunglasses and she had a white cloth tied around her neck.

      Jeongguk didn't know what to do with his hands. He was playing with his flask of lemonade, spinning it around on the table, picking it up, looking at it, taking a sip, and then putting it back down, rolling it between his hands. When he caught Taehyung's subtle gaze, he stopped and put his hands in his lap, and tried to focus on the conversation at hand, which was Hoseok's inevitable departure to the States.

      "So, when are you leaving?" Jisoo said, as she held her tea up, right below her face, waiting to take a sip.

      "Next Friday."

      Jisoo blinked. "That's only a week from now."

      Hoseok nodded and Jisoo placed the teacup down on the table, startled. "You're leaving in a week?"

      Hoseok pursed his lips. He then nodded again, slowly.

      "No," she said, in disbelief. "That's so soon."

      "I know ..."

      "Have you started packing?"

      Taehyung laughed.

      "What?" Jisoo turned to look at him. "Why are you laughing?"

      He laughed again. "You just remind me of someone," he said and Jeongguk felt himself stiffen.

      "Jisoo," Hoseok said, giving her an incredulous look. "I'm leaving a week, and you want me to start packing already?"

      Jisoo returned the look. "Yes, already. You're leaving for at least a year, Hope."