v

Chapter Five: Gatsby Would Probably be Disappointed

They sat in the car for a moment to gather themselves.

      It was half-past eleven and the street was packed with cars. They had been lucky to find parking space near the house––it wouldn't surprise him if they had taken the last one.

      "You ready?" Jimin asked.

      Jeongguk nodded, filled with energy. "Let's get it."

     They got out of the car and Jeongguk noticed how peaceful the street was, having thought it would be noisier because of the party. It was dark, except for the streetlights and light coming from some of the windows. As they approached the house, the effects of the party became more and more apparent in the street. He could hear the music coming from the house and he even saw a cup full of beer sitting on the ground––untouched, or so it seemed. The house was big, two storeys and he could see people he knew in the windows, standing with a drink in hand, others dancing. They walked through the gate, up the path and stopped in front of a big door. Jimin was reaching for the door handle when Jeongguk noticed he was holding a bag. He grabbed his hand, stopping him.

      "Is that a gift?"

      Jimin turned to look at him. "Yes?"

      "What is it?"

      Jimin hesitated. "Perfume."

      "Okay, it's from me too."

      "Dude."

      "I'll pay you even."

      Jimin scoffed. "You're lucky I have a pen."

      He pulled the gift from the gift bag and opened the card. He scribbled Jeongguk's name under his own.

      "There. Horrible handwriting, but it's what you deserve."

      They went inside, the door was unlocked. They were met with a mountain of shoes, jackets, which spilt from the hangers onto the floor and the smell of alcohol almost punching them in the face. Jeongguk already wanted to leave.

      They closed the door behind them, kicking the shoes out of the way. They took off their own and hid them in a corner, to make sure they wouldn't get lost and then made their way into the house, Jimin in the lead. Jeongguk nodded his head to the song being played. Mina had good music taste, he could give her that.

      They went through a doorway covered in golden drapes, into the living room. Gold and white confetti balloons lay around on the floor. On the tables were black tablecloths with golden glitter scattered about. Everything was gold. Gold and black. He could see a tower of glasses on the other side of the room and he exchanged a look with Jimin, thinking this was a recipe for disaster. He then felt one of the glasses on a nearby table and found out it was made out of plastic, which made a lot more sense. The people were all dressed up, the girls, as he had suspected in long dresses, many wore pearls and some even had those long cigarette-sticks. Most of the boys wore suits and ties, he and Jimin seemed the only ones who had gotten creative. Apart from the fact that the house was extremely modern, bright with big square windows and a remote fireplace, it was like walking into the 1920s. The only thing that wasn't in 1920s fashion was the music, which he was honestly grateful for. He didn't know if he could have handled an entire night of listening to jazz. For a party, it wasn't bad. But it was no way near the Gatsby level. Gatsby himself would probably be disappointed, but Jeongguk wasn't.