xiv

Chapter Fourteen: A Little Bit of Backstory

It had been a misunderstanding. The whole thing.

      Apparently, Taehyung had gotten confused over whether or not it was Seokjin or Jinyoung they were inviting to the wedding, he had fallen asleep when Jeongguk had explained everything related to that, how they should write out an invitation to Jinyoung–as he was a friend of the couple–and not Seokjin, but they should have him on the list and steal a thank-you-card to make it seem he really had gotten the invitation, and when Taehyung had asked him who Jin was, he had been asking him which one of them he was supposed to invite, Jinyoung or Seokjin. Jeongguk had, of course, interpreted it as him playing along with their supposed plan.

      After the revelation had come to the two of them, they hadn't slept for a long time, as as soon as the words dropped from Taehyung's mouth–was I not supposed to do that?–Jeongguk had almost bolted upright, and he had looked at him in shock. The first thought that had gone through his mind was, Jeongyeon is going to kill me.

      Taehyung had been so tired, he had listened to his worries for a good half hour, his responses getting slower and slower until at last he was completely knocked out, his head buried in the pillow, heavy breaths starting to ever so slightly soothe Jeongguk into a slumber. But it wasn't a while until he slept as he ached with worry. And when he did, the sleep was a short one, the type that felt like a single moment, he closed his eyes and opened them a second later, yet now, the room was bright, Taehyung still unconscious beside him; he clambered out of bed alone.

      He went downstairs, the house was quiet, the morning was new. But when he walked into the kitchen, his sister was already sitting at the table, holding onto a coffee cup with both hands, and reading a newspaper.

      "Why are you up?" he said.

      "I woke up like an hour ago and couldn't go back to sleep."

      She did seem a little tired. She was the same as him in that regard, once he woke, there was no way for him to fall back asleep. He didn't take naps either, even though he was tired he couldn't, he only slept during the night.

      The thought of his sister not being able to bat an eye the entire night, and because of his doing, was something he didn't like to think about. He made himself some breakfast, pouring cereal and milk into a bowl, and sat down across from Jeongyeon. He ate silently but in his head he counted to ten, readying himself for the question he was about to ask.

      "Jeongyeon ..." he started saying. "Would it really be the worst thing in the world if Seokjin came?"

      She just looked at him.

      "I mean, you guys used to be best friends," he continued. "What happened?"

      She put her cup on the table and looked at nothing in particular for a long moment, thinking. She then sighed.