ii

Chapter Two: The Boy Next Door

One thing about living next door to a best friend, is that you can never really expect when to see them in your home. They can turn up at the crack of dawn, or late in the evening, no questions asked, almost like your house is an extended home of theirs.

      So, when Jeongguk got down to the kitchen on Friday morning and he saw Jimin sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast, he wasn't that surprised.

      "Jeongguk!" Jimin exclaimed as soon as he saw him.

      Now, even if he wasn't exactly surprised to see him, in the sense that it wasn't anything he hadn't seen before, that didn't mean he had been expecting him.

      "Jimin?" he said. "What are you doing here?"

      Jeongguk's mother turned around where she stood, by the kitchen window. He had barely even noticed her when he walked in, because of, well, Jimin being there. "He came to congratulate Jeongyeon," she said. "I invited him in."

      Jeongguk glanced at his friend and, noticing a soft blush on him, smirked. "Ahh ... and how did that go?" Jimin always managed to somehow get into the most awkward situations with his sister.

      Jimin opened his mouth and then closed it again. "It was ... fine."

      He didn't sound very convincing.

      Jeongguk sneered and sat down by the table, ready to start the day with a bowl of cereal. He watched as his mother picked up a newspaper and left the room. As soon as she disappeared out the door he turned to his friend. "What happened?" he said.

      "What do you mean? Nothing."

      Jimin was a really bad liar. It only took one look at him and he would crack.

      "Well ... she was kind of in a hurry," he said.

      Jeongguk's eyes widened. "Oh no." He had long ago given up on trying to get Jeongyeon's attention when she was in a hurry. The last time he had held her up when she was in a rush had ended with him almost falling into the hangers in the front room, as she had pushed him out of the way to get out of the door.

      Jimin continued. "And well, I was kind of in the way. She needed her bag so she reached behind me and I kind of thought ..." He trailed off and stared down into his bowl.

      "What?"

      "Promise not to laugh."

      "Okay, what did you do?"

      "I thought she was going in for a hug ... "

      Jeongguk tumbled over in laugher, almost knocking his bowl off the table in the process.