xviii

Chapter Eighteen: Passion in the Purest Form

"Did you do this? Is this some kind of joke?"

      From the shattered vase on the floor, his sister had undoubtedly dropped when walking into the kitchen, to Seokjin hovering on the other side of the room, suddenly feeling unwelcome (which technically he was as he hadn't given them any heads-up for his arrival) Jeongguk was practically the only innocent one here. Apart from the fact that, well, technically it was his fault that Jin had gotten the wedding invitation in the first place, presuming that was even the reason he was here. So yes, it really was his fault that he even knew of the wedding, giving him a motive to come and visit. Still, Jeongguk would be lying if he said he didn't feel sour of how little faith his sister had in him. It wasn't like he had gone and picked the guy up from the airport. He had simply showed up.

      And still, it was him Jeongyeon was staring at, with such a deadly glare it was like she wanted to strangle him.

      Thankfully though, before Jeongyeon was able to kill him with her eyes, Jin stepped forward. "No, I came by myself," he confessed.

       Jeongyeon shifted her eyes and looked as if she was about to say something, but thankfully his mother pushed past her before she was able to, holding big bags of groceries in either hand. "What a pleasant surprise," she said, with a big smile. Then she looked at the floor. "Jeongyeon, you better clean this up. I can't believe you dropped it."

      Jeongyeon blinked in disbelief. "There was a man in our kitchen, mother, I got scared."

      "It's Seokjin. You should have recognised him," she said, taking a big step over the glass, thankfully wearing sandals, instead of being barefooted, like she usually was. "So expensive ... and now we need to buy a new one," she muttered. She placed the groceries on top of the counter, before approaching Jin.

      Jeongyeon rolled her eyes discreetly and left the room to get a broom while his mother opened her arms. Jin hurried forward, accepting the hug, probably thankful for at least someone being happy for his presence.

      "My goodness, I have to say this is the last thing I could have expected," his mother said as she broke away. She placed both hands on the side of his head, taking a good look at him. "You, my dear, haven't changed one bit," she said and tugged on his ear.

      Although Jeongguk didn't necessarily agree with his mother's statement he couldn't help but admire her ability to welcome a guest. She was doing a much better job than he had, even after all the commotion Jeongyeon had caused.

      "And neither have you," Jin said softly.

      His mother scoffed, but she was obviously flattered. "Me? I only age."

      Jin smiled. "You look lovely."

      Jeongyeon returned to the kitchen with a broom and a big plastic bag. She glanced at Seokjin, her jaw visibly clenched and then moved her gaze towards Jeongguk. She nicked her head.