xlvi

Chapter Forty-Six: A New Beginning

Jeongguk hadn't realised just how big of a project the wedding day itself was. Time had never felt so precious. The ceremony would be at five-thirty but they were already there at two. Jeongyeon was getting ready with her bridesmaids and mother. The photographer was with them, getting the first pictures of the day: of Jeongyeon getting her makeup down, she and the bridesmaids in the dresses, all of them talking and drinking champagne, having a wonderful time.

      He wasn't the photographer for the wedding. At least not the official one. He had his camera with him, of course (but when didn't he), but he hadn't wanted to be at his sister's wedding as a photographer, with duties and errands. He simply wanted to enjoy himself and make memories of his own, rather than documenting those of others. He was looking forward to the evening, to dancing with Taehyung, eating good food, and finally hanging out with Jimin and Yoongi after such a long time.

      Right now, he was in the groom's room. Namjoon had already gotten ready a while ago and was now sitting on the couches with his friends having a deep discussion about something on the lines of the importance of art in the modern world. Jeongguk was on his phone, fidgeting. Jimin should be arriving any minute now.

      "You don't think they missed the ferry?"

      Taehyung laughed. "Jeongguk," he said, rolling his eyes slightly. "For the last time, they're coming."

      "But what if they got lost? They might not know the way up here."

      "There's only one path, darling."

      "I wouldn't trust Jimin to follow a path correctly."

      "Trust Yoongi, then."

      Jeongguk scrunched his nose and turned on his phone yet again, as if a text would magically appear if he did. But there was no text. He had expected as much, but it still felt like a defeat.

      Taehyung squeezed his shoulder. "Do you mind if I go take a piss?"

      Jeongguk raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you asking my permission?"

      "I'm asking whether you're going to lose your mind over Jimin while I'm gone.

      Jeongguk grumbled. "I'll be fine. But he should be here by now."

      Taehyung laughed. "Just sit tight, silly. He'll be here any minute." He stood up and left the room.

      Jeongguk was nervous. Excited, but nervous. Jimin didn't know about him and Taehyung. And while he knew he would be nothing but supportive, telling him felt like joining his two worlds together, the one he was living now on Jeju, happy with Taehyung, and the one he had lived back then, in Seoul, frustrated and confused. It was easy to get used to something new in a different environment. Would it feel weird to bring their feelings back to Seoul? Would he feel strange, to walk along the city streets, knowing they had each other, when before they hadn't?