175. A Breathtaking Sight

RAVENNA AND CAELAN watched as the stars twinkled across the vast expanse of dark navy above their heads, slowly fading into a gradient of bright pinks and purples — a vivid painting come to life before their eyes

RAVENNA AND CAELAN watched as the stars twinkled across the vast expanse of dark navy above their heads, slowly fading into a gradient of bright pinks and purples — a vivid painting come to life before their eyes. Neither slept. Instead, a calm conversation passed between them. It was about nothing in particular, and yet everything all at once. Childhood stories, current favorite spells, and even Ravenna's experience marrying Eoin — no topic was unexplored.

His voice washed away her worries and the tendrils of anxiety that grasped at the depths of her mind.

As sunlight crawled across the sky, their conversation paused. Comfortable silence coated the air between them, allowing the gentle rush of stream-water and morning-bird chirps to flood the area with sound. Ravenna did not dare to move, watching as warm rays of light kissed Caelan's cheeks. It was a breathtaking sight. He watched her too — his dark eyes shimmering with warmth and slivers of light.

The silence was eventually shattered by Caelan.

He blinked — breaking the captivating spell that his gaze had entranced her with. A small sigh escaped him. "We need to continue working on our ice soldiers," he murmured to her. He sat upward and looked down at her, his lips twitching upward into a slight smirk. "You need some more training before we face Vyses."

Hearing the words out loud caused her heart to sink down low, pressing into the top of her stomach. A sickly coldness washed over the top of her skin, forcing the small hairs on her arms to stand upright. "Great," she muttered.

He held out a glowing hand. His fingers spread wide, palm facing the heavens above. A sphere of magic formed just centimeters from his skin. It remained stationary for a moment and then bolted upward, into the air.

The map burst to life in front of them, staining the vibrant blue sky a bright white color — like clouds that had been rearranged to form a picture. Ravenna instantly located her own dot, which blinked in the very center.

"His army has made some progress," Caelan remarked. He eyed the map with a resigned expression. "I estimate that we have about two days before his soldiers reach the outer walls of Zeporia."

Her stomach did a somersault within her. She grimaced and stared at the map. "Wonderful," she remarked.

He glanced at her. "Are you alright?" he asked her.

"Absolutely fantastic," she responded, her tone dripping with a heavy sense of sarcasm. She stood and turned toward him. Shifting into a defensive position, she said, "Let's start practicing."

He arched an eyebrow at her and then tapped his forehead. She rolled her eyes. Lifting her hands to her forehead, she removed her crown and gently tossed it onto the grass. The moment it left her hands, Caelan lunged at her.

She swiftly dodged and countered with a blast of ice.

Their laughter intermingled. He summoned a cloud of daggers. Each one zipped toward her. She deflected them with a swarm of her own daggers. A wicked grin pulled at her lips. "I'm getting better," she said proudly.