101. A Hint of Jealousy

RAVENNA AND EOIN continued to walk through the streets

RAVENNA AND EOIN continued to walk through the streets. Their conversation was strange —it was filled with flirtatious comments and thousands of questions. It made it hard for her to map out her exact plan. However, the conversation was a good sign. The closer she got to Eoin, the easier it would be for her in the long run.

When they approached the marketplace again, their pace slowed. Several Blood Knights rushed toward them.

It made Ravenna's stomach somersault.

Eoin smiled, welcoming his fellow Knights. The men bowed their heads to him and began to prattle on about a status report. The knights detailed the sheer amount of casualties and injuries that the King's army had encountered. Ravenna hung back, listening to the flood of information quietly.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a flash of crimson. It was gone before she could blink. She frowned and turned her head toward it, her eyes scanning over the shadows.

Vyses was lurking near the edge of a nearby building, almost completely obscured within the darkness. He appeared disgruntled, his expression tainted with a hint of worry. She frowned at him, confused by his presence.

He was supposed to be preparing their ice soldiers for a new attack.

The moment the Blood Knights moved on and Eoin returned his focus to Ravenna, Vyses emerged from the shadows. Ravenna pursed her lips as he walked toward them.

Eoin followed her gaze and frowned at Vyses.

Vyses completely ignored him. He stared at Ravenna. "I apologize for interrupting your night, but I require your assistance."

Ravenna's eyes widened. "Is everything alright?"

He sent a small, narrowed look toward Eoin. It was obvious that whatever Vyses needed to say wasn't meant to be heard by the prince. "Something is wrong with Lyth. We need to return to our lodging immediately."

Eoin blinked, shock and concern entering his features. "Is there anything I can do to help? We have several medics available, if needed."

That made Vyses frown. He stared at the dark haired Blood Knight, obviously unsure how to respond.

Ravenna smiled and put a hand on Eoin's shoulder. "We appreciate your concern," she said earnestly. "Lyth gets ill quite easily. I'm sure that he just needs some rest. We all do. It's been quite a long day."

"Are you certain?" Eoin seemed to hesitate.

Ravenna nodded and closed one eye in a wink. "We can continue our walk around the market tomorrow, once the sun has risen and the townsfolk have had a chance to recover. The market is so much more fun when it's filled with actual people."

A moment of tense silence passed, and then a smile appeared on Eoin's face. He bent forward into a slight bow, his arm flattened against his torso. "I look forward to it, Lady Ravenna," he said.