100. A New Opportunity

"IT'S A LITTLE loud in here," Eoin said to her

"IT'S A LITTLE loud in here," Eoin said to her. His expression was calm and kind, but a sense of nervousness seemed to emanate from him in waves. "Would you like to go for a walk outside?"

Ravenna hesitated. "Of course," she said, trying to suppress a frown.

Eoin gestured for her to move first. The tavern had thawed —the humans no longer watched them intently. Instead, they focused on their drinks, their music, and their conversations. It was loud. Very loud. And hard to focus. She eased through the crowds, toward the door.

The crisp night air nipped at her cheeks as she stepped outside. She glanced around, at the Imperial soldiers that patrolled the streets, and shivered.

A red cloak appeared on her shoulders. "I'm sorry," Eoin muttered. "I didn't realize that it had become so cold outside."

She blinked. Her fingers pulled at the heavy material. It was warm, and thick. Almost velvety in texture. And it smelled. The smell wasn't totally awful —it was mostly just a rich, earthy scent. Certain movements, however, sent faint wafts of blood and sweat toward Ravenna's nose. She glanced up at Eoin. His armor glimmered in the moonlight. It looked vaguely naked without the Blood Knight cloak draped behind it.

Ravenna was absolutely certain that Vyses would go insane if he saw the way that she looked right now.

"I did not realize that you were a prince," she said, her voice quiet. Her gaze remained focused on the stoned street beneath her feet.

Eoin didn't answer at first. She peeked at him from the corner of her eyes and noticed that his gaze had shifted to the stars. His almost stoic expression was marred with hints of worry. "I know," he told her. "It was one of the reasons why I found you fascinating."

Her jaw clenched tightly.

He sighed. "To find someone that hasn't been touched by your reputation, your fame —it's quite a rarity. You met my gaze evenly, with no fear of repercussion. Even my own knights, my soldiers won't do that." He ran his fingers through his hair. "I find it refreshing."

"Why wouldn't they look you in the eye?" she asked him honestly, her brows puckered with confusion. "Mother taught me that it was quite rude not to."

That made him laugh —genuinely laugh. He stopped walking for a moment and clutched at his stomach. Ravenna paused beside him, a scowl on her face. Several Imperial guards glanced their way, confused.

"You are phenomenal," he said, once he could catch his breath. "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I must be blunt with you. You have no idea about the social graces of society, at least when royalty is concerned."

"I've never had to know," she answered curtly. "The town that I was raised in was located far away from the Capitol. Too far to travel to."

"That explains why you didn't recognize me," Eoin concluded. "I'd bet all the coins in my pocket that you rarely ever saw my face, if at all."