127. A Meaningless Apology

THE NEXT FEW hours seemed to drag on, slower than a snail

THE NEXT FEW hours seemed to drag on, slower than a snail. Imperial guards flooded through Ravenna's bedroom, inspecting every inch of it with their magic-detecting stones in hand.

Ravenna remained seated atop her bed, her fingers lightly drumming against the brand new mattress beneath her. She watched the guards that roamed her room with a careful eye. She was just waiting for the stones to start glowing. She wasn't sure what exactly she would do if they did.

On either side of her stood Alyss and Miera, with their arms crossed over their chests. They flanked her as if they were her own personal bodyguards. At the end of her bed, two stern-faced guards lingered. Both eyed Ravenna. "Are you certain that is all you remember?" one asked her.

"Yes," Ravenna insisted. Her gaze met the guards. She touched her bandaged stomach. "I genuinely do not remember anything else."

"She would tell you if she did," Alyss insisted.

The Imperial guards shared a look that was hard to decipher. Ravenna did her best to maintain her calm appearance. Another guard stepped up beside them. He dipped his head and announced, "No trace of magic here, sir."

Ravenna did not react. She watched as the guards shared another glance. They thanked the other guard and returned their attention to her with an understanding smile. "We understand," one told her. "We know this must be very traumatizing."

The other smiled wider at her and added, "We hope that you are able to rest and heal soon. Thank you for your cooperation and for allowing us to search your bedroom."

She pulled her lips back into a forced smile. "Of course," she told them. They hadn't exactly given her much of a choice.

Both guards crossed one arm over their chest and dipped into a polite bow at the waist. "Please, let us know if there is anything we can do to serve you, my lady," both chimed in unison.

It was kind of creepy to Ravenna. Her smile faltered slightly. "I appreciate your service," she said.

"We will be patrolling the castle more heavily," one said as they straightened back upward. "We will also assign one of our Blood Knights to stand post outside your door throughout the night. Rest assured, you are safe and protected here."

Ravenna thanked them and they left her bedroom. Slowly but surely the rest of the guards followed suit, trailing out the door like a herd of sheep. The tension that had filled the room began to ease with their departure.

Miera and Alyss made their way around the room, cleaning and chatting amicably. They did not leave until a knock sounded at the door and Eoin stepped into the bedroom.

When the door shut behind them, Ravenna flinched. She shifted back in her bed, allowing herself to rest on the mound of pillows situated behind her. Her arms crossed over her chest.

"Can I help you?" she asked him.

Eoin grimaced. He approached the foot of her bed and just stood there for a moment. His head dipped downward, his gaze downcast. His shoulders sank. Ravenna found herself somewhat shocked by his expression —it was filled with pain and remorse. "How do you feel?" he asked her. "Are you hurting?"