106. The Castle

THE GRAND, GATED entrance to the Capitol did nothing to prepare Ravenna for the view of the actual city within

The streets were paved with that special stone —a mixture of diamond and white marble that shimmered brightly in the sunlight. Surrounding buildings were constructed of a different type of stone, a stone that was sandier in color. The entrance lead to a massive marketplace, as most large cities had. The storefronts appeared to be constructed of water. The magic walls was clear enough that Ravenna could easily see the items that stocked the shelves. It stretched and moved around the various customers that wandered in and out of the store. Written in the clear, liquid-like wall were the names of the store. One read 'A Royal's Attire'. Several lifelike mannequins stood in front of the liquid wall, displaying elegant tunics and colorful robes laced with shimmering gold thread. Another store was labeled 'Sophie's Books' and it overflowed with book-filled shelves.

At the very center of the market, sat a fountain. The structure was unlike anything that she'd ever seen before. The base of the fountain was constructed of perfectly laid stone in the shape of a circle —the same diamond marble that comprised the streets. It was massive, almost the size of a pond that she could swim laps across. Five pillars stood erect in the center of the fountain, stretching high into the air, and high arches connected them. Standing on top of each pillar stood an immaculately carved statue of a woman. The five women wore long, flowing dresses that appeared to be made of silk rather than carved from stone. Each had a waterfall of curly hair tumbling down their backs. The stone women held their hands out, cupped together in front of them. Water poured from their palms, into the base of the fountain below.

"That's incredible," Ravenna murmured as Eoin lead her closer to the fountain.

Eoin agreed. "This fountain is older than the kingdom itself. It's said that the Originals stumbled upon it during their conquests and believed that the water had the ability to turn back time itself. They created this city so that they would never lose access to the fountain."

"There are a lot of stories surrounding the Originals," Ravenna commented. "There is so much ancient history here."

"Rightfully so," Eoin said. "This is the birthplace of our kingdom, after all.

Ravenna hummed and looked around. There were so many people walking around them, all strolling leisurely through the streets. No one seemed to be stressed or rushed. There was so much laughter and happiness, it was almost kind of sickening. None of the guards appeared to be patrolling the streets, either. They mostly lingered near the shop entrances, talking to each other and laughing merrily.

"Would you care to see the castle?" Eoin asked her, breaking her trance.

She glanced up at him, an eyebrow arched. "I would never say no to a prince," she answered slyly.

He rolled his eyes toward the sky, but his lips stretched around a pleased smile. Shaking his head, Eoin lead her forward, through the marketplace.