149. A Chilling Feeling

AN ICE DAGGER materialized in the air before her

AN ICE DAGGER materialized in the air before her. Ravenna's fingers curled around its hilt and squeezed tight. Carefully, she pulled the talisman away from her skin. It pulled tight against her neck, struggling to remain attached to her. Her lips twisted with a scowl. She positioned the dagger so that it pressed against the inside of the chain and effectively held the talisman away from her.

She sucked in a deep breath. Then she pushed, trying to force the dagger through the chain. Her eyes squeezed shut. Both hands curled around the dagger now. The chain pulled against her skin, burning, rubbing her neck raw. She poured all of her strength into it, pushing and attempting to saw her way through the chain.

Pain blossomed through her upper body. It originated from the base of her throat and fanned out, spreading through her shoulders and down the length of her arms. It was a sharp, electrifying pain that sizzled just beneath her skin.

A gasp escaped her. Her hands dropped before she could even react. The dagger clattered against the floor beneath her. Her jaw clenched tight and several muttered curses flew past her lips.

She ran her fingers through her hair, shaking her head. The dagger melted into the floor, vanishing from existence. She pulled at the necklace again, trying in vain to lift it over her head.

Another jolt of pain flooded through her. She grunted and scowled.

Behind her, a gentle knock sounded against the door. Ravenna carefully climbed to her feet. She opened the door slowly, her brows furrowed. Alyss stood on the other side. Her gaze did not quite meet Ravenna's.

"I have come with food," she announced. "It is almost midday."

Ravenna stared at her for a moment. Then she glanced back, over her shoulder, at the massive wall made from glass that revealed the world outside the palace. It was bright — sunlight touched everything in sight. She frowned. The morning had passed without her noticing.

She turned back to Alyss, stepping aside so that the girl could enter the room. Alyss stepped inside, followed by Miera, who balanced a golden tray of food within her hands.

Ravenna pursed her lips as a thought came to her mind. "Actually, I need your assistance," she said to Alyss. She clutched the talisman tight within her hand and smiled. "I cannot seem to remove this. Can either of you help me with it?"

A crease formed between Alyss's brows. Miera moved aside and set the tray down. Both stepped closer to Ravenna, their hands immediately reaching for the talisman.

Alyss gently grasped the chain and pulled upward. "This is very pretty," she remarked. "I do not believe I ever noticed it before. Is it new?"

Ravenna stared at her for a moment. "Really?" she questioned, her lips twisted around a small frown. "I have had it on since I first came here."

"That's strange," Alyss muttered, mostly to herself.

"Well, how do you normally remove it before your baths?" Miera asked. She carefully moved Ravenna's hair aside, revealing the back of the chain. "I do not see a clasp."

"I have honestly never removed it before," Ravenna answered.

This statement startled both Alyss and Miera. They shared a confused and somewhat alarmed look. "Really?" Miera questioned. "I do not remember seeing it before."

Ravenna's jaw clenched. There were a number of possible explanations — and each of them only further fueled her anger. Vyses had obviously spelled the talisman with a spell that would keep her from removing it. It was possible that he had added another spell that prevented non-magic users from noticing it on their own, like Alyss or Miera. It was also possible that it was a side effect of the spell he'd used to disguise her. That particular spell had mostly faded away now, now that Ravenna was queen. So it would make sense as to why Miera and Alyss could suddenly see the talisman.

"Please just see if you can get it off," Ravenna said. She grimaced as Alyss began to tug the necklace upwards.

The afternoon passed without any success. As sunlight faded into moonlight, Ravenna could visibly see Alyss and Miera grow frustrated. One would hold Ravenna's shoulders, holding her down, while the other pulled the talisman upward. There was no clasp to be found, no weak point within the chain itself. It was near impossible to remove from Ravenna's neck.

"This is absurd," Alyss snapped, glaring at the talisman. Her features morphed with an angered scowl. "The chain appears to be long enough that it could easily fit over her head. But it refuses to move past her chin."

"Is there a spell on it?" Miera asked, tugging at the talisman once more.

"I believe so," Ravenna said. A sigh heaved through her. "I am unsure what kind, though. It is not of my doing."

After a few more unsuccessful tries, Ravenna thanked and dismissed Alyss and Miera for the night. Annoyed, she returned to sit on the edge of her bed. Her shoulders slumped as defeat flooded through her. She rubbed at her eyes and heaved a sigh.

Ravenna automatically reached for Caelan's spellbook. She knew that she wouldn't find an answer within it. She simply sought the comfort that his familiar scribbles brought. She'd read through his spellbook so many times, she almost had it memorized. Skimming through it again gave her a sense of comfort. It allowed her to feel like she was doing something, without really having to do anything.

Her fingertips lightly brushed the worn edges of the pages open in front of her. She stared at the half-hearted spell sketched out in front of her. It had something to do with the vegetables that Caelan had grown behind his house. Reading through the familiar content gave her time to think.

The more that she thought about the talisman, the more Ravenna wanted it off. She was not entirely sure how to approach removing the talisman with magic. An answer might be hidden within the various spellbooks and scrolls held within the library. But she was not entirely sure and it would take time to track down. She tried to search through her memory for any type of jewelry-related spell. There just simply were not a lot that she'd come across. Which only added to her frustrations.

A muted thud dragged her attention away from her thoughts, away from the book in her hands. She glanced at the window immediately, her brow furrowed. She did not immediately notice anything out of the ordinary. A chill raced down the length of her spine and the hairs on her arms stood ramrod straight.

Her eyes carefully scanned over her bedroom. Shadows danced across the walls, flickering with the candlelight that illuminated the room. She lowered her gaze back to the book in her hands. It took all of her strength to steel her nerves.

Someone was in her room — or at least just outside of it. That much she knew. 

~

Sorry this chapter is a little late today, friends! I really appreciate your continued support and patience! Thank you all so much!! ❤

All I am going to say now is this...

Y'all aren't ready for the next chapter.