138. No Resistance

FRANTIC VOICES FLOATED through the air, clouding Ravenna's thoughts

FRANTIC VOICES FLOATED through the air, clouding Ravenna's thoughts. It was growing harder for her to focus. Hands yanked on her arms, pulling her forward through the corridors of the palace. She was jostled left and right. The voices grew louder and impatient. None of the guards were actually talking to her, only barking out orders amongst themselves.

Their intentions were crystal clear — save the Queen.

There were so many Imperial guards surrounding her, protecting her, that it was overwhelming. Every ounce of her struggled to remain internally calm. It took all of her strength to continue outwardly with her 'hysteric wife who just discovered her husband's dead body' act.

One of the guards took pity on her as they walked. He reassuringly patted her arm, which was looped through his own. "You are going to be safe, your highness," he told her.

She forced out a breathy sob. "Where are you taking me?"

"We need to get you to the throne room," he explained quietly. His voice was almost drowned within the chaos. "It is the most secure room in the palace. You will be safe there. At least until we can figure out what is going on."

Ravenna frowned, somewhat confused. "The throne room?" she repeated.

He did not hear her. She pressed her lips into a firm line. Hiding royal family members in the throne room during an attack on the palace did not seem to be the smartest of ideas. Even if the throne room was the most secure room of the palace. It only had one entrance and exit point. If the guards protecting it were overpowered, anyone inside would be powerless.

Before anything further could be said, she found herself standing in front of the massive entrance to the throne room. She was ushered inside and the heavy doors slammed shut. Her gaze flickered around the room.

A crowd stood before her, their eyes focused on her face. Imperial guards lined the walls, their hands curled tight around the swords at their waist. Noblemen and women who had participated in the coronation feast huddled in the center of the room, dressed in their night clothes. Some looked disgruntled and annoyed. Others appeared absolutely terrified.

Three Blood Knights stood on the opposite end of the room, standing guard behind the empty golden throne.

Ravenna made her way toward the throne. As she approached, one of the Blood Knights stepped toward her. "Are you alright, your highness?" he asked her.

"Where are the others?" she asked him, gesturing to the other Blood Knights.

He bowed his head to her. "Traveling with Mylo still. They are expected back soon."

She nodded absently and gingerly took a seat. The throne was cold beneath her. She took a moment to breathe, hunching forward slightly and covering her face with her hands. Her eyes squeezed shut. Her tears dried quickly.