117. The Burning Talisman

THE NEXT TWO weeks flew right past Ravenna, like small prey racing to safety in the eyes of a predator

THE NEXT TWO weeks flew right past Ravenna, like small prey racing to safety in the eyes of a predator. Each morning started the same. Alyss and another young woman named Miera would appear at Ravenna's bedside, their arms filled with grandiose trays of pastries and breakfast foods. Ravenna would pick at her food sparingly and, once an appropriate amount had disappeared from her plate, Alyss would whisk her away to the tub. As Alyss bathed her, Miera would prepare her dress for the day and clean her bed.

The duo worked seamlessly together and, when needed, seemed to communicate almost wordlessly. It was nice, as it gave Ravenna time to plot without having to worry about keeping a conversation going.

Once she was ready, Ravenna would be forced into lessons --something that she hated passionately. The lessons revolved mostly around the duties of a princess and the manners that were required. That included silly things like her posture and the correct steps in a dance sequence. Sitting in front of a plethora of similar-looking utensils, while someone walked around her and lectured her about the different uses of each utensil, did not interest her in the slightest.

The only lessons that she actually looked forward to took place in the Library. And they weren't even really lessons.

After their night together in the library, Mylo offered to meet with her in the afternoons. It gave her a chance to ask him any questions that she had about the history of the kingdom.

It also allowed her to keep distance from Eoin.

Ravenna desperately needed that distance. The more time that she spent in his presence, the more likely she was to mess up and expose herself. It was easier to get away with things when he wasn't around.

When she did see him, however, their time together was sweet. Sweet and romantic. The distance between them wasn't entirely her fault. Since the moment they returned, Eoin had been exceptionally busy with his duties. He did his best to make up for it with private dinners and long strolls through the gardens. He was very sweet to her. It was almost enough to make her pause and reflect on her plan. To feel guilty.

But not quite enough.

When night would fall across the sky, Ravenna would retire to her bedroom, her stomach twisting in knots. Alyss would help her undress and climb into bed. And then she would be left alone with her thoughts.

Every now and again, Ravenna would notice the talisman glowing atop her chest. It burned a little, but not much. It only happened at night, when the palace seemed quiet with sleep.

It was fairly easy to ignore.

Until one afternoon. Ravenna found herself in the library with Mylo, focused on the small book in her hands. In her peripheral vision, she noticed a faint glow beneath her. She looked down and almost audibly gasped when she saw that her chest was glowing.

"Is everything alright?" Mylo asked her, not bothering to glance up from the scroll in his hands.

It was not alright, but she couldn't say that. She closed the book and hugged it to her chest, hoping to conceal the light that emanated from her. "Yes," she said calmly. "I will return in a moment."

Mylo glanced up, his eyebrows puckered with confusion. Before he could react, however, Ravenna was out of her seat and through the door. She walked as fast as she could without breaking into a full on sprint.

The talisman burned something fierce against her chest. Her lips twisted around a grimace as she rushed up the stairs and toward her bedroom. Alyss stood in front of the door, her hands filled with cloth. She blinked in surprise as Ravenna approached. "What is wrong, my lady?" she asked. Her expression twisted with concern.

"I am fine," Ravenna assured her. She pushed the door to her bedroom open, before Alyss could manage to grasp the door handle. "Please, give me a moment to myself."

Alyss frowned and stepped back. "As you wish," she said.

Ravenna shut the door behind her. She waited a moment, listening for footsteps, for any confirmation that Alyss would indeed give her a moment alone. It took a few minutes before she heard Alyss walk away.

The moment she was sure that she was alone, Ravenna reached into her dress. Her fingers curled around the talisman. It scorched her skin. She wrenched it free of her dress and a blinding light exploded in front of her eyes. Squinting, she peered closer at the talisman.

The light that emanated from it stretched upward, forming a strange, humanoid shape. It took a moment for the details to form —strands of long alabaster hair tugged back into a braid, facial features twisted into an annoyed scowl. Wine red eyes shimmered in front of her.

"It's about time," the small, magical version of Vyses muttered under his breath. He stood atop the talisman, his arms crossed over his chest.

She furrowed her brows at him. "This talisman started glowing while I was around others. I was almost caught," she said sternly.

"I have been attempting to make contact with you at nighttime for the past week," Vyses responded shortly. His wine colored eyes gleamed. "I had no idea whether or not you were even still alive."

Grumbling incoherently under her breath, she closed her eyes. She sucked in a deep breath and then exhaled. "What did you need?"

"I have been rebuilding our army," he said. "I have made more modifications to their armor, so now they won't be so easily taken down. How would you like for me to proceed?"

"Start with the smaller towns in the south –focus on areas that are on the outskirts of the kingdom. It will take longer for word to reach the Capitol. And do as we did before. Eliminate the guards and replace them with our own."

"As you wish, lass," he said. "Is there anything else that you wish for me to do?"

She shook her head. She didn't need him fussing up her plans inside the palace. "No. That is all for now. Please just refrain from making contact during daylight in the future."

Vyses sighed and dipped his head slightly. Strands of his hair fell forward, shielding his eyes from her gaze. "Of course, lass," he purred. She could still sense a hint of annoyance lingering in his tone.

Ravenna blinked and his projection vanished, the talisman growing stone-cold in her palms. "Wonderful," she muttered under her breath.

A knock sounded at the door and her blood ran cold.