128. A Princess

THE MORNING OF the royal wedding, Ravenna found herself laying in her bed, staring at the ceiling above her

THE MORNING OF the royal wedding, Ravenna found herself laying in her bed, staring at the ceiling above her. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks, scorching her skin. The tears annoyed her. Her strong emotions were foreign to her and it was hard to place their origin.

She forced herself to count her breaths and relax. A storm of anxiety swelled within her stomach, within her mind. She did her best to focus on happy thoughts.

Except her thoughts were overwhelmed with Caelan.It took all morning to prepare Ravenna for the wedding. Hundreds of hands touched her —brushing at her hair, coating her lips with red paint, and making the final modifications to her diamond-encrusted dress. It was chaotic. It was exhausting.

Before Ravenna could blink, she found herself standing in the chantry chapel. The chantry chapel was a small room decorated in stain-glass, located at the entrance to the royal cathedral. It was closed off to the public, so Ravenna was alone with the servants.

Someone handed Ravenna a bouquet of crystal rose-lilies. Her fingers curled tight around the wad of thorn-free clear stems. She sucked in a deep breath and closed her eyes. So many servants rushed around her, a blur of light white uniforms. The instrumental melody and high-pitched choir voices bled through the walls of the cathedral. The sound echoed through the chantry chapel, drowning out the bustling servants that surrounded her.

The unfamiliar weight of a tiara was placed atop Ravenna's head.

Her eyes fluttered open. She could see a cloudy version of herself reflected in the stain glass around her. Her eyes immediately located the tiara. She had seen it before —her dress had been designed with the fringe-style diadem in mind.It consisted of sparkling white diamonds, set in silver, and featured fifty diamond bars separated by smaller diamond spikes. It was indescribably beautiful and it suited her.

Her gaze shifted down, toward her face. Crimson colored eyes stared back at her.

The sounds of the choir amplified and Ravenna blinked. Her reflection dulled within the colored glass. She found herself squinting at the glass, struggling to see the red eyes again. A servant appeared at Ravenna's side. "Are you ready, my lady?"

She tore her gaze away from her own reflection. "Yes," she said. The hesitation was evident in her tone. "I am ready."

The heavy doors in front of her swung open. She stared down the length of the nave, doing her best to ignore the heavy crowds of noblemen and women that stood within the North and South aisles. Eyes seemed to watch Ravenna's every breath. It made her skin crawl.

The melody that floated through the air lulled her into a slow walk. Eoin stood across from her, atop the raised platform that comprised the sanctuary. He wore a gold tunic that featured an opulent filigree design. A golden chain of rubies crossed his chest, fasted at his waist and at the top of his right shoulder. Fastened to his left shoulder was a flowing red cape. Its color matched the shade of his Blood Knight cape, however this particular cape featured a pattern similar to the design of his tunic. It draped down his back and billowed out behind him —a sea of red clinging to the small staircase that separated the nave from the sanctuary.

Ravenna forced a cheeky smile on her face as her gaze flickered around the interior of the cathedral. She had never actually seen it in person before.

Stain-glass windows stretched from floor to ceiling on either side of her. The glass depicted scenes of royals being crowned, of knights fighting and finding peace. Sunlight poured through the blue, white, and gold stained scenes, bathing the cathedral with a cool-toned glow. Above her head, the fan-vaulted ceiling arched, allowing the symphony of instruments and voices to echo and vibrate against each facet.

The architecture was breathtakingly beautiful. It caused a small seed of sadness to take root within her stomach. The mere idea that there were people in the kingdom who would never see, never experience being inside the cathedral...it hurt her heart.

As she neared the steps that lead to the sanctuary, Ravenna located the King. He was seated in a smaller version of his gold and white-diamond throne. The ornate chair was situated on a platform to her right, raised to the same height as the sanctuary. Directly beneath him was the choir, filled with rows of singers and minstrels, all sporting matching white and gold robes.

The King smiled down at her. His harem sat on either side of him, watching her for the first time, their eyes kind. Her smile grew larger when she noticed the king lower his face to his arm, coughing into his elbow.

Eoin waited for her at the top of the stairs. He reached out and took her arm within his. "Hello," he whispered to her. His grin was infectious.

Ravenna beamed at him. She was careful to adjust her dress as she stepped up to the altar. Her train billowed out behind her and down the stairs —a white and diamond encrusted mirror to Eoin's cape.

The ceremony moved rather swiftly. Ravenna's fingers remained interlocked with Eoin's, much to their guests' delight. Toward the end of the ceremony, the King stood and claimed the attention of everyone within the cathedral. He made his way to the altar, his steps slow and tired.

"The knot tying ceremony is ancient tradition," he announced, "One that originated with our ancestors, the first and true king and queen of our beautiful kingdom. It symbolizes love and the connection between bride and groom."

Ravenna and Eoin lifted their hands, their palms flattened together. The King stepped in front of them. His voice radiated through the cathedral as his recited speech continued. It was the first time that Ravenna had heard him speak without alcohol slurring his words.

As the King spoke, he placed a golden ribbon around their hands. It immediately fell to their wrists. His pale hands trembled as he tied the ends of the ribbon with a loose knot. A cough escaped him.

"This tradition represents the strengths of matrimony, the blending of hearts."

Ravenna stared at the ribbon. Her smile became harder to maintain as the speech continued. A deep sense of sadness blossomed within her heart.

She missed Caelan.

When the knot ceremony finished, the king could hardly speak without coughing. Two women from his harem stepped forward, guiding him back to his seat. The archbishop finished the rest of the royal ceremony. Her melodic voice resonated through the cathedral as she announced, "In the presence of our glorious king, I proudly announce their royal highnesses Eoin and Ravenna, Prince and Princess of Khal."

A mixture of cheers and applause erupted throughout the cathedral. Eoin and Ravenna turned to face the crowds of nobility behind them, large smiles plastered to their faces. They walked down the steps, through the crowds that clustered along the sides of the nave, until they reached the world waiting for them outside.

And just like that, Ravenna was officially a royal princess.