08

I was excited about the Homecoming dance tonight, but I was upset that I haven't got a date. I have gone through mom's stuff and I managed to find the dress that I wanted to wear. I have also tried it on and it fits me and I am so happy that I don't have to get it fixed. Mom could tell me that I was happy that it fits.

I walked into school and went straight for my locker. I knew that I should fill my locker up and decorate it because it still looked bland on the inside.

I then knew that I had to find Ricky and when I found them I heard Big Red said: "Come on, dude, I'm just saying, this is your chance."

"The last thing I'm going to do is ask Nini to Homecoming on the day of the dance," Ricky said.

"But she's single and ready to mingle," Big Red said.

"Yeah! And I had to hear it from Ashlyn, who heard it from Seb. I'm telling you, Nini hardcore friend-zoned me," Ricky said.

"Then ask her as friends! We can all hang out together," Big Red said. "Like the good old days!"

I ran off as I knew that Ricky didn't like me like I thought he did. I ran off into the auditorium and I knew that I had to let it out. I walked over to the piano and then started playing a song. I then started singing "You're on the phone with your girlfriend, she's upset. She's going off about something that you said. Cause she doesn't get your humour like I do. I'm in the room,  it's a typical Tuesday night. I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like. And she'll never know your story like I do." I was singing my heart out while I was playing the piano.

"But she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts. She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers. Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find. That what you're looking for has been here the whole time. If you see that I'm the one who understands you. Been here all along, so why can't you see? You belong with me, you belong with me." I was pouring my heart out in these lyrics and I don't know why but I was crying slightly.

"Walking the streets with you and your worn-out jeans. I can't help thinking this is how it ought to be. Laughing on a park bench, thinking to myself. Hey, isn't this easy? And you've got a smile that could light up this whole town. I haven't seen it in a while since she brought you down. You say you're fine, I know you better than that. Hey, whatcha doing with a girl like that? She wears high heels, I wear sneakers."

"She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers. Dreaming about the day that you wake up and find. That what you're looking for has been here the whole time."

"If you see that I'm the one who understands you. Been here all along, so why can't you see? You belong with me. Standing by and waiting at your back door. All this time how could you not know, baby? You belong with me, you belong with me." I then take a break from singing for a little bit but I continue playing the piano.

"Oh, I remember you driving to my house. In the middle of the night. I'm the one who makes you laugh. When you know you're about to cry. And I know your favourite songs. And you tell me about your dreams. Think I know where you belong. Think I know it's with me." I then lighten up the notes so they were softer and quieter.

"Can't you see that I'm the one who understands you? Been here all along, so why can't you see? You belong with me. Standing by and waiting at your backdoor. All this time how could you not know, baby? You belong with me, you belong with me. Have you ever thought just maybe? You belong with me. You belong with me." I then finish singing the song and I am standing up playing the piano. I finished playing the piano once I finish the last word. I realized that I had let out the anger and sadness inside of me.

---

I have just gotten home and I was getting ready for homecoming. I was excited to go as I have never been to a homecoming dance before. I never went before because of the press and it was annoying with them around. I was still annoyed that I haven't gotten a date for the dance but I am thankful that I can actually go this year. I had a shower this morning so I didn't have to have a long one when I got back home.

Once I got out of the shower, I went and dried my hair and then got into my robe so that I could do my hair and makeup.

Ricky's POV:

I was getting ready for the dance in his room when he had a tune stuck in his head so he grabbed his guitar and started singing "He said, there's nothing like your smile, sort of subtle and perfect and real. He said, you never knew how wonderful that smile could make someone feel. And he knew, whenever you'd get bored you'd scribble stars on the cuffs of your jeans. And he noticed that you still fill out the quizzes that they put in those teen magazines. But he kept it all inside his head. What he saw, he left unsaid. And though he wanted to, he couldn't talk to you. He couldn't find the way. But he would always say." I don't know why but I was thinking of Allie while I was singing this song.

"If I could tell her. Tell her everything I see. If I could tell her. How she's everything to me. But we're a million world apart. And I don't know how I would even start. If I could tell her. If I could tell her." I was remembering of all of the times that Allie and I were hanging out and it made me laugh while I was singing. I just wished that I could have the confidence to sing this in front of Allie and I knew that I should have asked her to Homecoming.

"He thought, you looked really pretty. It looked pretty cool when you put indigo streaks in your hair. And he wonderered how you learned to dance like all the rest of the world isn't there. But he kept it all inside his head. What he saw, he left unsaid. And though he wanted to, he couldn't talk to you. He couldn't find the way. But he would always say."

"If I could tell her. Tell her everything I see. If I could tell her. How she's everything to me. But we're a million world apart. And I don't know how I would even start. If I could tell her. If I could tell her. But what do you do when there's this great divide? And what do you do when the distance is too wide? And how do you say. I love you? I love you. I love you... I love you...But we're a million worlds apart. And I don't know how I would even start. If I could tell her. If I could," I finished singing the song and I realised that I really loved Allie. I knew I had to tell her but I didn't know when I should do it or how I should do it.