16

I was extremely nervous as it was opening night tonight. My mum was coming to support me and I couldn't believe that I would be telling everyone that she is my mum tonight. She was driving me there already as she knew that I wanted to be there before everyone else so I could get rid of my nerves. Before I got out of the car she turned to me and asked "Are you sure that you want to tell everyone tonight?"

"Yes. They deserve to know. I have kept it a secret for so long but could you help someone out first. His name is Sebastian but we all call him Seb," I said.

"Why do you want me to help him out?" Mum askes.

"Because he is nervous as he is playing Sharpay," I said.

"Oh. So a boy is playing Sharpay. That is new and different," Mum said.

"I know but he is nervous to be playing the role," I said. "So when I text you that he is in can you come into the corridor to where the dressing room is and calm him down and talk to him."

"Yeah, I can do that," Mum said.

"I'll see you in a bit then," I said. I then got out of the car and walked into the school. I knew that I should get my nerves out in the gym so I could take in the set and everything.

I walked into the gym expecting it to be empty but when I walked in I saw Ricky and Ms Jenn already in there. "Oh! Uh...I didn't know anyone would be in here," I said.

"Let me guess, jitters?" Rick asked me.

"Little bit. I just realised this morning this is the first time I don't have to deal with the pressure of everyone around me and my mom is coming tonight so I want it to be perfect," I said.

"Your mom is coming! Wow! I forgot she was coming," Ricky said. He then whispered in my ear "Are you sure you want to tell everyone else?"

"Yes," I whispered back. "They deserve to know."

"So we finally get to know what your last name is?" Ms Jenn asked.

"Yep. I can't believe that Ricky or Big Red haven't said the secret yet," I said.

"Tell her the muffin story!" Ms Jenn said to Ricky.

"Do I have to?" Ricky said to Ms Jenn.

"Listen, I'm gonna run. I'll see you in a couple of hours for pre-game," Ms Jenn said. "Just take a second, both of you, and soak in the stillness." Ms Jenn then walked out of the gym.

Out of nowhere, a bag fell and Ricky and I both jumped. We then heard someone say "Sorry!" and then someone else saying, "I think that was me."

"Okay, how many people are in here?" Ricky shouted.

"Do you wanna..." I asked Ricky while pointing out the door.

"Yeah," Ricky said. We then walked out of the gym. "Can't believe we made it here," Ricky said when we left the gym.

"Yeah. Against all odds, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing," Ricky said.

"Hey, that other night, in the theatre, in that room, I, um..." I started to say.

"Oh! Uh... Listen, that... No worries. I get it. It was a tough day. We're all in a weird place," Ricky said.

"Yeah. Yeah, totally weird" I said.

"It's cool. We're cool, right?" Ricky asked.

"Yeah, Yeah, totally cool," I responded.

"Cool," Ricky said.