12

It's been a few weeks since we saved Ms Jenn from being fired and at the moment we were practising 'Start of Something New' as we needed to practice that song. I was excited for tomorrow night as it was Thanksgiving. Ricky and I were both singing at the moment with mics in our hands. They weren't on which was a good thing. "I know. Something has changed." Suddenly a ladder was lifted over our heads which freaked me out a bit but we continued to sing. "Never felt this way," we sang.

"But right here tonight." I sang.

"This could be the start of something new. It feels so right to be here with you. Oh. And now, looking in your eyes," We sang. I motioned for someone to spin the card around as it was upside down. "I feel in my heart. The start of something new."

"Now, who would've ever thought that. Oh," Ricky sang.

"Yeah, and the world looks so much brighter. Brighter, brighter." I sang. "With you by my side." Suddenly the school bell rings signalling the end of school.

Ej then starts cheering and we all turn and look at him. "Sorry, I really love Thanksgiving."

We all then start talking and gathering our stuff but Ms Jenn decided to say "Okay, hold on. I know everyone is excited about the holiday break. But I'm me and I have notes. Ricky and Allie, that was good but it could be better. She said in the spirit of holiday cheer."

"Good save," Carlos said to Ms Jenn.

"Huh, I thought it sounded okay," Ricky said to me.

"Heck yeah, we're kinda killing it," I say to Ricky.

"Did you mean both of us?" Ricky asked.

"Yeah," I said while chuckling.

"Oh. Okay," Ricky said.

Ms Jenn then piped up before we left and said "You homework over this break, all of you, is to please go on vocal rest. And go over your lines, too, which is hard to do on vocal rest. But make it work. And remember, may nothing ever block your doorway to happiness."

Mr Mazarra suddenly walked in and said "Excuse me!"

"Okay, starting now," Ms Jenn said.

"Oh, don't mind me. I just came to return a missing item. Ashlyn. Cannot have our robotics team co-captain going home without her binder over break, Mr Mazarra said while handing the folder to Ashlyn. "And Allie. I can't have my robotics assistant going home without her notes."

"Thanks. Have a good Thanksgiving," I said. I then ignored everything around me while I put my folder in my bag.

When I stood back up everyone was near the exit and Ashlyn, Carlos and Big Red were standing around the piano. "Oh. Cobbler sounds so nice," Carlos said. "My family usually has three protein courses and then everybody's asleep by six."

"My folks start eating at dawn and they barely make it past the Macy's Parade," Big Red said.

"Well, at least your folks are sticking around. EJ's parents are treating my parents to a spa in Park City after dinner tomorrow. They told us to try and have a meaningful night at the movies," Ashlyn said.

"Well, at least you would have more than one lot of family for dinner tomorrow. It's just going to be me and my mum," I said.

"Why?" Carlos asked.

"My grandparents on my mum's side won't come over here and I have never met my dad's grandparents," I said.

"How come?" Carlos asked again.

"I don't have a dad," I bluntly said.

"Oh, I'm sorry that I brought it up," Carlos apologised.

"No, it's fine. I have never met my dad and I never do. I don't care who he is and I never will," I say.

"Do you guys wanna come over after dinner tomorrow?" Ashlyn asked. "Like a late-night party?"

"I never don't want that," Carlos said.

"Should we keep it to a small group or..." Big Red started to ask.

Carlos then interrupted Big Red and shouted "Party at Ashlyn's after Thanksgiving tomorrow! Everyone's invited." We all then begin cheering because of the news and I then turn to look at Ricky and I see him already looking at me.

---

Ashley Tisdale's POV:

It was the day of Thanksgiving and I could tell that Allie was sad a little bit that it was just going to be us for Thanksgiving. I knew that I had to do something. I could tell Allie was upset since last week as that was when we started talking about Thanksgiving. A few days ago an idea popped into my head when I would invite some people over. I had to get them all aeroplane tickets but they all did say that they would come. I managed to persuade them to come on an early flight so that they could all be here before she wakes up. I  had to set my alarm for 6 am as they were all going to be turning up at around that time.

Allie's POV:

I don't know why but when I woke up today something felt off. I was excited that it was Thanksgiving but I had this feeling that there were people in my house. I decided to get into my dressing gown and put my slippers on. I then walked down the stairs but before I could finish walking down the steps I am suddenly pick up from behind and I then start screaming. They then put me down and when I turned around I saw Lucas standing there and I then said "Lucas. You're here."

"I am. Now turn around," he says. I then turn around and see Vanessa, Zac, Monique, Olesya, Kaycee and Bart behind me.

"You're all here. I can't believe it," I said excitedly. I then hug them all and once I hugged them I turned to them and in a serious tone I said: "Why are you here?"

Vanessa then spoke up and said, "Your mum noticed that you were sad when she first mentioned Thanksgiving at the start of the week so she had an idea to bring us all down so we could spend some time together so you don't feel that lonely."

"Thanks, mum," I said while walking up to her. I then hug her and then continue to say "But I would also like to tell you that I am spending the evening with my friends. We're having a party at Ashlyn's house and she invited all of the cast."

Vanessa then walked up to me and then said "Which reminds me. I am so proud of you for getting the lead in the play."

"Thanks. I'm impressed that I actually got it," I said.

"Well you're an amazing singer and dancer so there is no reason why you're drama teacher shouldn't have given you the role," Burt said.

"Well, technically she isn't an actual teacher but that doesn't matter," I point out.

"Wait. What do you mean she isn't an actual teacher?" Lucas said.

Kaycee then piped up and said "Don't worry we kinda sorted that out a few weeks ago. She's still their teacher though."

"So you don't have an actual teacher teaching you?" Lucas asked.

"Nope. But I don't care. She is a great teacher and director and everyone in the cast loves her," I said. We then continued to talk for the rest of the day.

When the food was ready we moved over to the table and continued to talk. I then thought 'I can't believe that they are here as I missed them so much.' 

I then realised that it was time to go to Ashlyn's place so I gathered my stuff, said bye to everyone and walked down to Ashlyn's house.