thirty six

Serena

I let Bailey drag me across the entire school and up a flight of stairs to the science wing. "You're in luck, we're getting assigned new partners today because we're starting a new project. Hopefully we'll be paired together!"

"Yeah that would be fun, what's the project on?" I asked her, waiting outside the door with the other students

"It's on atoms and stuff, like transferring electrons and all of that"

"Here we go, listen for your pairs and go find a table to sit at. Haley and Briar, Ethan and Loren, Kelsey and Jacob, Trevor and Bailey, Serena and Laken, Jorden and Flynn, Gracie and Daniel, Wilmer and Mandy, Patty and Simon. At each spot there are the instructions, you will only have today to work on them in class which means that you need to find a time that works with your partner and finish them outside of school. These are due next Friday" the teacher informed us and I shot Jake a panicked look.

"You'll be fine" he mouthed to me before turning his attention to his partner

"So, do you wanna work on this at my house after school?" Laken asked me breaking me out of my distress

"Oh, uh, sure. What's you're address? I'll get Embry to give me a ride there"

"No need for him to give you a ride, I can take you, I've had my license since August"

"Ok, awesome, so how do you want to do this?"

"I was thinking something like this" he drew out his idea and I nodded. We worked on the project until the bell rang, "I'll meet you at our lockers after school"

"Sounds good, see you then" I left the classroom and walked in the direction that I thought my locker was in to drop off my books and get some homework to do during my study hall but ended up getting lost.

It had been at least 3 minutes of me wandering and we only have 5 minute passing times so I had to hurry. I turned a corner and ran straight into someone. "Sorry, I wasn't looking" I apologized quickly.

"Hey squirt, it's alright I was actually looking for you. What are you doing in the senior hallway anyway?" Jared asked me

"I was looking for my locker and I got lost"

"Here, I'll show you quick but then we need to get to study hall, the teacher doesn't like when people are late"

"Why are you late?" The teacher questioned us when we walked in 3 minutes late

"She got lost on the way to her locker so I showed her and then showed her the way here" Jared told the teacher confidently

"I see, take a seat and get to work"

I followed Jared to the only empty desks in the back of the room. On the way down the isle Birkley smiled at me and I returned the favor. "Sorry," she whispered, I couldn't save you a seat"

"It's alright" I replied.

I sat down behind Jared and next to Embry, diagonal from Kim. "How was chem? What do we do?" Embry asked me

"It was fun, you get partners and a project due next Friday, but you only have today to work on them in class"

"Who's your partner?"

"Laken, speaking of, I'm going to his house after school to work on it"

"Do you need a ride?"

"No he's gonna give me one and bring me home, not sure what time I'll be back though. Do you work tonight or should I expect to hear your snoring?"

"Nah squirt, it's me and Paul tonight, you better hope you have some noise canceling headphones" Jared laughed

"Hey!" Embry exclaimed, whacking Jared across the back of his head

"Still not as bad as Kim though" Jared laughed again

"You little shit!" It was Kim's turn to smack Jared.

"Just be careful, ok? I don't want you getting hurt or anything while we aren't with you" Embry told me

"Don't worry, I will be" I replied, grabbing my honors geometry homework out to try and finish it so I wouldn't have to take it home.

I ended up finishing my math work before the bell rang, so I did a little bit of research on my chemistry topic. Once the bell rang I was dragged out of my seat by Kim.

"Come on I'm hungry! We have to be one of the first ones there otherwise we'll be waiting for our food the entire lunch hour!" She exclaimed.

I followed quickly behind her, Embry and Jared both hot on my tail.

"It's cheesy French bread today, that's why she's so excited, it's her favorite" Jared informed me once we joined the small line of people waiting for their food.

Once we had our food we walked to a table towards the outside edge of the cafeteria, "hey Quil, hey Paul" Kim said, sitting down across from Paul and next to Quil.

Embry sat on Quils left and Jared sat across from Kim, so I sat on Paul's right. Shortly after we sat down Jake and Seth joined us, Seth sitting next to me and Jake next to Embry.

We ate in mostly silence, with small conversation here and there, mostly asking about what we did in classes or the boys' work schedule. "Serena has a little date tonight" Kim teased and I felt Paul's tense next to me.

I dropped my fork in shock, "it's not a date! We're not even friends! We're just working on a project together!"

"Who are you working with? I got stuck with Genevieve Klimt, aka one of the dumbest people I've ever met. She's a senior! This is her third time taking chemistry and she's still failing!" Quil complained

"I'm with Laken" I replied

"Kirk?" Paul asked

"Is there more than one Laken? That's kind of an exotic name"

"No, just one. I just wanted to be sure. Be careful around him Serena, he's bad news" Paul warned me

"And you're not? All I've heard about you from people that aren't in your little pack is bad things. You don't think I know not to be careful? I had to be careful I didn't fuck up every day with those monsters because if I wasn't they would drug me and beat me! I don't want to have to be careful anymore, Paul!" I exclaimed.

"Serena I-" Paul started

"No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have responded that way" I said, getting up to dump my tray.

There was still 15 minutes left of lunch but I left for my locker anyway, wanting to get away from the questions I was almost certain I would be receiving.

Once the bell rang, I waited for Quil at our lockers before we went to honors English. "Look, I know you don't want to talk about it, but Paul just wants whats best for you, all of us do"

"How do I know what's best for me? How do I know when to stop worrying?" I asked him

"You just need to let fate do the work, you'll know what's right when it comes"

"Thanks Quil, I appreciate it"