nine

It's been two days since Jared, Jake, and Quil dumped that water on me, and I currently running a fever of 104.2°, the highest that one has been. I'm bed ridden and can barely even move my arms to adjust my body so I'm stuck lying in one position all day.

Today Paul is bringing over some tribe elders wife to check me out, to make sure I'm not dying or anything, and she's apparently bringing her son.

I don't want the lady to come over, not because I don't like meeting new people, which I don't, but because I can barely tolerate mine and Paul's voices whenever we speak to each other, and adding 2 more voices in the mix will make it 10 times worse.

"Hey, " Paul said gently entering his room that I've been living in for the last 3 and a half days, "Sue and Seth are here, can you move to the living room? Or do you need them to come in here?"

I groaned slightly, barely comprehending what Paul was saying. "I can't, I can't move" I groaned, trying to push myself into a sitting position but failing

"Hey, hey, don't strain yourself, I'll bring them in here" he said quickly, putting his hands out in front of himself and waved them in a stop motion.

He turned to leave the room but I stopped him, "why are you doing this for me?" I asked him quietly

"What?" He asked shocked, turning back around to face me

"Why did you help me that day? And why are you letting me stay here, in your room even, and why are you taking care of me, you don't have to be doing any of this, but you are, so why?"

"Because, Serena, you needed saving, and I'm your night in shining armor"

A knock on the bedroom door stopped me from responding to Paul's statement, "I came here because I figured that since it's taking you so long she couldn't move herself" a soft feminine voice said

"No it's fine, come in" Paul said, moving out of the doorway. A lady and a younger looking boy came into the small room, making it look even smaller.

"Hi Serena, I'm Sue and this is my son Seth. I'm just going to take your temperature and we'll go from there, ok?" Sue asked and I nodded, unable to form any words at the moment

"Just hold this under your tongue for a few minutes ok?" Sue said, sticking a thermometer in my mouth and under my tongue. A few minutes later Sue took the thermometer and grimaced, "you said she was at 104 this morning?"

"Yeah, 104.2°" Paul said, looking away from his conversation with Seth

"She's at 105.1° right now, what are your symptoms sweetie?" Sue said, looking worried

"I'm tired, and having hot and cold flashes, I'm sore, and have a headache, and dehydrated, and haven't had an appetite" I responded

"This might be more than a fever, Paul I think we need to take her to the hospital, it could be something bad" Sue said and a bunch of scenarios started flying through my head

"Serena, I'm going to pick you up, ok? Then we'll get you some medicine at the doctors" Paul said, coming up to me and scooping me into his arms.

I reached back into the bed and weakly grasped the thin blanket. Seth noticed and put the blanket over me, giving me warmth when I was shivering.

"We can go in my car, so you don't have to put her down" Sue said and the rest of us nodded. I leaned my head on Paul's shoulder as they walked out of the house and to Sues car.

Paul got into the back seat after Seth opened the door, carefully sitting down while keeping me in his arms.

Paul

Serena fell asleep not even 20 seconds after Sue pulled the car out of my driveway. Sue was in no rush to get to the hospital, as she wasn't too worried that it was something bad but she just wanted to make sure.

By the time we got to the hospital it was nearing 3 pm. The 4 of u walked I inside, Serena still asleep in my arms, and up to the desk.

"We need to see doctor Cullen as soon as he can get us in" Sue said to the man at the front desk

The man looked up at us and did a double take on Serena, "name?"

"Her name is Serena Hastings" I responded quickly, holding her tighter in my arms

"I don't have a Serena Hastings in the system" the man said after typing for a minute.

"Uh, it's under review, we should have dna test results within the next 48 hours" I said, almost 100% sure that Serena was not in fact a Hastings

"I'll just have him call for Serena when he's ready then, it will be about 45 minutes until he's ready for you" the man said, finishing typing and then sending us off to the waiting room.

It was almost an hour later when the leech came for Serena, but she wasn't awake yet. We followed him into a room and he had me sit on the bed with Serena still in my arms.

Halfway through the leech's questions Serena woke up coughing, also sweating. "Hello Serena, my name is Carlisle Cullen, the Clearwaters and Mr. Lahote brought you in because you had a fever of 105°, is that correct?"

"Yeah" Serena responded tiredly, now shivering. I pulled the blanket back over her and brought her closer to my body to warm her up, but as soon as I did she started sweating again.

She kicked the blanket off of her body but stayed pressed in my arms, probably using my heat to keep her warm without sweating. "Is it alright for Mr Lahote to continue to hold you? Or will you be able to sit up on your own?" Carlisle asked her but before she could reply I got a phone call

"It's the chief of police" I said, looking at my phone then answering, "Hello?"

"We have the results"