forty six

Serena

I quickly got ready for school and didn't say a single word to Embry. We made it to school after an awkwardly silent car ride and parted ways to go to class. I ignored the rest of the pack as well as Kim for the entire day too.

If I can't talk to Laken until he's under control, I'm not going to talk to any of them until he has it under control. Instead of going to the cafeteria, I went to hang out in the library to catch up on the work I missed this morning.

"Hey" someone said, dragging the chair across from me out to sit in it. I glanced up to see Jared sitting across from me, a solemn look on his face.

I looked away and didn't respond to him, continuing to work to show that I'm not interested in talking to him. "You know that we're just trying to look out for you, right?" I didn't give an answer.

"I get that you were just trying to help, but leave it to the big guys. If he scratches us from head to toe we heal in a few hours but if the same thing happens to you it might take years, that's if you survive the blood loss"

I stayed quiet, trying to show I wasn't interested in what he has to say but he was getting to me. "Look, all I have to say is that I don't blame you for being mad at us. Laken told us what you did and you did it with good intentions, especially since it's in your friends benefit. You didn't hear it from me, but Embry, Paul, and Sam are the only ones that are upset with you and Laken, but that's just because you're important to them in a different way. We're on your side, Serena, you just need to get those three on it too"

Jared got up and left the library, his last words engraved into my mind. When the bell rang I also stood up and packed my things, noticing a slip of paper that was left in Jared's spot.

I picked it up and opened it, reading it over before sighing.

Serena, they're just looking for an apology from you. I think it should be the other way around but honestly, they are never going to let this go until there is closure. Think about it, give it some time, and next week if you still feel the same come talk to me.

-jc

I tucked the note into my pocket and walk all the way to my next class. The day droned on and on until finally the last bell rang. I rushed to my locker and then rushed out of the building so that I wouldn't come into contact with any of the pack.

After lunch, I decided that I would be walking to and from school and practices. I hustled down to the locker room where I met up with Bailey and Birkley. We were going to practice for a few hours to prepare for tryouts tomorrow.

We met up on the way and finished getting ready quickly. Bailey gave me an old pair of cleats and Birkley gave me an extra stick of hers to use. If I made the team tomorrow, I planned on using my savings box to buy my own gear.

We practiced everything, from catching and throwing, to intercepting passes and different moves to do when trying to score. By seven o'clock, I was a sweaty mess. I have never run that much in my entire life and adding defenders into it made it even more difficult.

We slowly walked back to the school and into the locker rooms. Each of us turned on a shower and used them, but we all got done at different times, leaving when we were finished cleaning up.

I got done last and was left alone but I was ok with that. I purposely took my time and denied Baileys offer for a ride because I didn't want to go home. I didn't want to go home right now, but I knew I had to get there before dark otherwise the guys would have another reason to be pissed at me for.

I packed up all of my things and plugged my headphone into my phone before leaving the school. I always walk slower when I'm listening to music, and honestly that's exactly what I needed to do right now.

I looked to the side as a truck pulled up next to me. Embry sat in the drivers seat, "get in the car Serena!"

I could hear him over my music, but I pretended that I didn't and kept walking. I was only ten minutes away from my house and there was no point in getting in the car now.

"Serena! Get in the car! Now!" He yelled at me.

I ignored him yet again, picking up my pace. The sound of the car door slamming broke me out of my stride. Embry grabbed my arm from behind me and stopped me from going on even more.

He pulled the headphones out of my ears and took my phone away from me. "What the hell is wrong with you! You didn't even tell us where you would be after school let alone that you were going to walk home alone! You know what's out there!"

"Here's the thing, Embry. I am my own person. You do not get to tell me what I can and cannot do. You don't get to tell me who I can hang out with and be friends with. You don't get to dictate my entire life!" I yelled at him

"Serena I'm worried about you! You're my little sister! I have the right to be worried about you!"

"I know, Embry! I know! But I can worry about myself! And you should worry about yourself! Or the pack! Or all the vampires that have been roaming around lately! I am the least of your concerns right now!"

"I know, just get in the truck please" Embry sighed, turning away and walking back towards the truck. I followed him and got in the other side, throwing my bag in and getting in after it.

"I'm sorry" he whispered

"I know," I whispered resting my head on his shoulder, "I know."