seventy one

Serena

The rest of the pack, minus Embry and Seth because they were patrolling, started to slowly make their way into the room to check on Paul. "What the hell happened to your hand, Serena!" Jared exclaimed when he noticed. 

Looking down at my hand, I saw that it was beginning to have finger shaped bruises from Paul squeezing it too tightly. "Paul just held it a little too tightly, it's ok" I replied, shrugging my shoulders the best I could while trying not to jostle Paul too much.

"It's not ok, I broke it. She can't play lacrosse for a few weeks" Paul said

"Oh crap, I'm sorry" Jared said, "How you feeling bro? That leech really showed you"

"I almost had it" Paul whispered

"Oh yeah, for sure. Your mangled leg tells me otherwise. Are you wearing pants yet? I don't like seeing your junk in the open" Jared says, smirking at Paul.

"You're not wearing pants!" I exclaimed, pulling myself out of Pauls grasp. He was covered by a blanket right not, but he wan't beforehand.

"How the hell was I supposed to put pants on? I can't even feel anything but pain right now" Paul replied.

"You let me lay here while you're not wearing pants! What if I saw something!" I exclaimed

"You weren't complaining while he was on the ground naked earlier" Laken joked, earning an elbow to the rib from Leah

"Heat of the moment thing, and that moment is over. Besides I don't even think I saw anything" I scowled at him.

Before anything else could be said, Carlisle and Sam entered the room. "Alright, I have a drip for Paul and a hand wrap for Serena" Carlisle said and the pack cleared a path for him. He said Pauls drip up quickly, then he began to wrap my hand up, "You've got quite the bruise forming. I have an opening right away at 7:30 tomorrow morning where I could squeeze you in for x-rays. Paul, no phasing for at least two weeks. Bed rest for one and limited movement for the second week. I'll check back in with you at the end of week two."

"Thank you, Carlisle" Sam said and the vampire left, "Serena, I called your mom to let her know what happened. She's ok with you staying here tonight but she's coming with us to the doctors in the morning"

After Sam finished, the pack all filed out of the room. "You gonna stay with me even though I don't have any pants on? What changed?" Paul asked. He was still sweating, a grimace seemed to be permanently etched on his face.

"Well I didn't notice before so I might as well" I replied, running my hand through his hair again. We sat in silence for a few minutes before he spoke again.

"You could repay the favor you know" he said, a small grin forming on his face.

"What do you mean? What favor did you give me?" I replied. I should have known he was up to something.

"You can take off your pants as well, that way we're both pants-less, to make me feel more comfortable. Its rather awkward being the only naked one"

"Not happening!" Sam yelled from somewhere in the house

"You heard the man. Now try and get some sleep, maybe you'll heal quicker" I reached over and turned off the light, then regained my position laying next to Paul, falling asleep shortly after.

The next morning I woke up to Embry shaking me, "Hey, it's 6:45, we gotta leave in 15 minutes"

"I don't wanna get up" I groaned, covering my eyes with my good hand.

"You wouldn't have to if Paul didn't break your hand, but since he did you need to suck it up"

Fifteen minutes later I was seated in my moms car next to Embry with Sam in to front next to my mom. "I really don't think we need to get it looked at, it doesn't even hurt anymore" I told them.

"Serena, stop making excuses, the sooner we get a cast on it the sooner you get the sport that you begged me to let you try out for" mom said, trying to end the conversation.

"Can I at least take the wrap off? It's really itchy"

"Doctor Cullen said you're supposed to keep it on so it stays stabilized. He'll take it off when we get there" Sam told me.

The rest of the car ride was silent, as was the wait in the lobby. When we got into the room with Carlisle; however, the chatter started. "Alright, let's see what we're working with" Carlisle said, beginning to unwrap the bandage. I was sitting on the exam table and my family was surrounding us, making the small room look even smaller. "I don't believe it!"

"What? What's wrong?" Mom asked, trying to get a closer look.

"The bruises are gone" Carlisle said, a shocked look on his face. "Does it hurt to move it?"

"No. I tried to tell them it didn't hurt but they wouldn't listen" I replied. Carlisle took my hand in his and started to feel around, looking for the break he found yesterday.

"I don't feel a break anymore" he said

"You don't think she's-" Sam started

"It's the only answer" Carlisle finished and my family frowned.

"What? Why are you all looking at me like that?" I asked. I was confused as to why my hand healed overnight, and even more confused about the looks they were giving me.

"Serena, are you feeling warm at all? Maybe running a fever?" mom asked me.

"I don't think so?" I questioned. She reached her hand out and placed it on my forehead, her frown deepening.

"Can you take her temperature please, Doctor Cullen?" She asked. He nodded and got his thermometer, running it across my forehead until it beeped at him.

"101.2" He said

"You've got to be kidding me!" Embry exclaimed, his head falling into his hands.

"What's going on?" I asked again, looking back and forth between each member of the group in front of me.

"Serena," Sam started, "You're in the beginning stages of the phasing process. You're turning into one of us"

"Well shit," I said, "that doesn't sound fun"