thirty seven

Serena

We watched a movie in English because the was a sub today, and I didn't pay any attention to it. All I could think about was what Quil told me.

How do I know when to stop if I haven't even started? I just don't get it. I've been running scenarios through my head and each and every one I can think of ends up falling apart in the end.

The bell broke me out of my thoughts. Standing up slowly, I walked out of the suddenly stuffy classroom and across the hall into the art room.

Kim was already there waiting with a big smile on her face, "I saved you a seat, although me and you are the only ones in here"

Pottery went by quickly as well. I focused more on my project than on the conversation that Kim and Paul were trying to include me in.

Pottery was my favorite subjects at Forks high school, and I almost cried for joy when I found out that it was offered here too. I was told by the art teacher to make a modern day gravy boat, the rest of the class making different pieces for the tea set that would be displayed in the large art case by the entrance to the school next week.

Kim is making one of 6 tea cups, while Paul got tasked with making the sugar container. It was funny watching Paul try and figure out how to get his giant hands into the small opening of his little jar, he ended up having Kim smooth the inside when he couldn't do it without destroying his work.

After pottery I walked with a girl named Laurel, who sat next to me at the table, to general music. I have this class with Jake, Embry, and Quil which will be fun, but apparently they've been learning how to play guitar for the last 2 and a half weeks and I'm just going to be thrown right into it.

I sat next to Laurel in the back row of chairs in the music classroom, waiting for the teachers word to go get guitars. "Today class, rather than just playing guitars, we will be adding singing into the mix! Go grab your guitars and tune so we can get started!"

Laurel and I grabbed two of the guitars from the shelf behind us and she showed me how to tune the guitar. "Ah yes, Ms. Call, I forgot you were joining us today! I won't make you sing this week as you don't even know any notes yet but next week when we test you'll have to. Here is your learners book, I suggest you take this home and study some notes so you'll be more in it tomorrow, for now just practice on your own"

The remainder of the class period was spent trying to learn the notes to play hot cross buns, but I didn't have any luck. I got halfway through the song by the end of the hour, leaving 6 unlearned notes mocking me for my failure.

I met Laken at our lockers, which were conveniently only a few away from each other, and followed him out to his car after I told Embry that I would see him tonight. "Sorry my cars kinda messy, I basically lived out of it during wrestling season and I haven't had time to clean it since it ended" Laken told me

"It's alright, you should see Embrys truck, it's a disaster" I replied, buckling the seatbelt. Lakens car really is a mess, with clothes covering the back seat and some trash on the floor.

"This is my house, it's not much but it's just me and my parents so we don't need much to begin with" We pulled into the driveway and I looked up to see the nicest house I've probably ever seen, minus Sam and Emily's.

"No! I love it! It's beautiful"

"Let's go up to my room, we can work on the project there"

"Ok, just show me the way" I followed Lake. To the attic of his house, and into the coolest room I have ever seen, "woah! This is awesome!"

"Haha, thanks, I really take pride in my room, it's kinda like my safe place"

We ended up spending more time talking and getting to know each other compared to working on our project. It was already eight when his mom called us down to grab some pizza.

We brought it back to his room to eat and work. "You've got some sauce on your face" I told him, pointing to where it was on his face

"Oh, thanks." He wiped it off with the sleeve of his shirt, "so do you"

"Where?" I asked, beginning to wipe at my face 

"Here, I'll do it" he grabbed a napkin and leaned in to wipe off the sauce, pausing after he took the napkin away.

We made eye contact and I got butterflies, which I know I shouldn't have since I know I just met him but I have them, and they won't go away.

He glanced downwards and back up quickly, making me glance towards his lips in retaliation. "Can I kiss you?" He asked me

I thought for a second, really thinking about all the possible outcomes. "Yes" I replied

Our lips connected a few seconds later and I closed my eyes. The kiss only lasted a few seconds but it still sent shockwaves of butterflies through my body.

"That was awesome" he said, standing up

"Yeah, it was, wasn't it? Wanna do it again?" I asked, also standing up

"Yeah" he leaned in and cupped my cheeks, pressing his lips to my own again. I didn't know what to do with my hands so I brought my arms up and around his neck, pulling him closer to me.

I know I shouldn't be kissing him, I know that Bailey has dibs on him. I just met him today, we've barely know each other for 12 hours and I'm already kissing him, but it just feels right.

We parted again, both of us at a loss for breath. "Wanna be my girlfriend?" He asked me, pulling away

"Um, yeah, yeah I'd love to" I replied smiling.

"Damn, you fell for that?"

"What?" I asked confused

"This was all just a dare, Serena, I kissed you and asked you out for a dare"

"Why the hell would you do something like that!"

"Oh you know, just my friends and I do weekly dares and the last one standing wins some money. This week my dare was to get you to kiss me and to say yes to being my girlfriend. The chemistry project made it that much easier"

"You're sick, you know that! I knew I was being foolish considering we've only know each other for a day but I trusted you!"

"Look, I'm sorry, but it had to be done, I play to win"

"I'll finish my part of the project but that's it, I'm leaving, have fun finishing your work jackass" I told him angrily.

I rushed out of his house and onto the sidewalk I the direction that I think my house is, tears streaming down my face. It didn't help that it was pretty much pouring and 9 at night.