sixty four

Serena

The schedule that the pack was on was annoying to say the least. It had been a week since it started but it felt like it had been a year. Every time they changed shifts in the middle of the night, I would wake up to the sound of people climbing through the window.

It seemed as if Embry was always on the midnight shift, every single day, so that meant I was losing sleep. Whenever someone new came in, it would take hours to fall back asleep, unless it was Paul who was replacing Embry.

"Sam" I said, walking into the kitchen of his house next to Jared, who was on what I like to call 'Serena duty', "This needs to change. You can't have Embry doing the midnight shift every night! It's ruining my sleep schedule!"

"Embry runs the midnight shift because of school, I care a little more about his grades than the rest of the guys-" Sam started to say

"Hey! You should care about my grades too!" Jared cut in

"I care about your grades too, Jared, but Embry's my brother so he's my priority" Sam finished

"If he's your priority why doesn't he run the twelve to six? or the six to midnight?" I asked Sam, sitting at the table next to Seth, who was face down and snoring.

"He doesn't run those because he  needs to watch your lacrosse practice, it would be weird if anyone else did. With him watching it just looks like he's waiting to bring you home. He doesn't run the six to twelve because Paul and Jared run it so Paul can replace Embry"

"Mom is starting to notice something is up, Sam! Embryo basically gets home and goes straight to bed! Why can't he switch with the earlier shift?"

"If he can get someone to switch with him, then he can do an earlier one, but if not the schedule isn't changing" Sam said, ending the conversation.

It was Saturday and right now Embry is still sleeping, trying to catch up on what he's lacked the last week. Right now Quil and Jake were running the two to six, meaning that in a few hours Jared would be leaving and I would be traded off again. 

"Sam, Laken doesn't even run a shift!" I exclaimed after I did the math in my head

"Laken is a fill-in, incase someone gets to the state that Seth is in right now" Sam replied

"That's not fair! I'm losing so much sleep because of this!"

"Serena, what are you not understanding? The schedule doesn't change! That's final!" Sam exclaimed. I put my head down and sighed, twiddling my thumbs.

"I'm sorry," I said, "Jared, can we go to Kim's place?" 

'Yeah, let's go. I was going to just drop you off here but you can come with" Jared said

"No, that's ok, I can stay here. Maybe Seth will wake up soon"

"You sure?" Jared asked, "I don't mind you coming along, Renie"

"Nah, you go for it" I said and Jared nodding, leaving the house. 

Noticing that Sam left to some other room in the house, I decided to pick out a book from the shelf to read to pass the time. Emily was out with her sister and Sue for the day, so I couldn't hang out with her, which meant that I was basically alone for the day.

I decided to read the book on the back deck since it was nice outside today. Bringing a light blanket with me, I settled down on the swing and started to read.

Two chapters in, Seth came out and sat next to me, resting his head on my shoulder. "Hey, Seth, what's up?"

"I'm tired but I'm sick of sleeping on the table. Plus, Sam left to get some groceries so now I'm your babysitter"

"Seth your younger than me"

"And cuter too, now keep reading so I can sleep" Seth said, getting under the blanket with me.

An hour into my book, my started to get heavy. Marking my page, I set the book aside and snuggled up next to Seth, deciding that a quick little nap would be nice.

Embry

"Serena?" I asked, walking into Sam and Emily's house. When I didn't get a response, I began to look around the house. 

Sam said he was out running errands so he left her with Seth, but I couldn't find either of them. I called out for them again, with no response, so I walked out back to see if they were outside. I spotted they together on the bench, fast asleep.

"Serena, we have to go home, moms making dinner" I said, shaking her awake.

"But I'm tired!" She said, trying to shoo me away

"She's making homemade Mac and cheese"

"I'm up!" Serena said, jumping off the bench.

"That's what I though, let's go. See you tonight, Seth" I said, turning to leave with my sister.

"Actually Laken is running for me tonight" Seth said, picking up the blanket and following us inside.

"What? That's not fair!" I exclaimed, stopping in my tracks

"It's because I can barely function, I was passed out for seven hours on Emily's table" 

"What the heck, I've been begging for him to give me a break for two days!" I exclaimed again, annoyed at how Sam won't give me a break.

"Let's just go home, Embry, its not worth it" Serena told me, pulling on my arm to get me to move towards the truck. 

In actuality, I knew that she was annoyed with Sam as well. She was also hungry, but she was mostly annoyed with Sam. Both our sleep schedules were all out of wack, but this is getting ridiculous. 

Serena

I tried to pull Embry towards the truck, but he wasn't budging. He was actually starting to shake which scared me. "Embry! Go outside! Please! You're going to phase!" I yelled, tugging him again.

Seth noticed my distressed and shoved Embry through the door and down the steps. I followed behind them, keeping my distance. "Embry, it's not my fault that Sam gave me the night off. Serena was trying to convince him to give you a break but he didn't listen to her!"

He didn't stop shaking at the comment and instead turned to face Seth. "Embry, No!" I screamed, trying to prevent him from attacking Seth.

"Look at you, Embry! You're scaring your sister!"