4 | strawberries

river (k)

"Hey, doc." A knock on the door was heard then a head peeped inside my office. I gestured her to enter and noticed that she was carrying a handful of strawberries.

"How may I help you, Gianni?" I asked,  focusing on reading my patients' concerns a second after. For a month now, Gianni stayed to look after patient 0101— Avery Frey.

"She wanted to give you this." She placed the strawberries on my table. "She uh.."

She scratched the back of her neck and looked away, obviously hesitant on what she's about to say. "She's looking for you."

"Didn't she just kick me out hours ago?" I gave a small chuckle. She bursted out all of a sudden and the only way to tame her was me leaving the room. I get it, though. It's not the first time I've encountered this type of scenario.

"Yeah well, about that.. she wants to talk to you and apologize." Did she finally come to her senses?

No speech complications, that's great. I'll jot that down. "How is she holding up?" I asked her and opened Miss Frey's patient file. I remember the day when she came inside this hospital, holding on for dear life.

It was too painful to watch. Her eyes were screaming at me that day—begging.

I shook away the thoughts.

"A bit shaken up, but she's fine.. I guess." Based on her body language, I believe she's been meaning to ask me something.

"Is it normal to dream when a patient's in a coma?" She asked, fidgeting with her fingers.

I was right.

I looked at her. "Why yes. It is. The brain appears to remain active even if they seem unconscious. They can see visions, illusions, and scenarios that can be related to their lives. However, these dreams can also appear to be false— like a movie playing inside their head telling them it's reality."

"So that's why.."

"That's why what?"

"She uh.. dreamt about you. and her."

Interesting. Is that the reason why she was surprised when she knew my name and saw me for the first time?

Intrigued, I stopped doing what I'm supposed to do.

"Tell me more, Gianni."

She sighed. "I think it's better if she's the one who's going to tell you."

I guess it is. "Alright then. Give me a few minutes and I'll be there."

"Thank you, Doctor Valentine."

"Please, just call me River if it's just us." She gave me a smile and got out. I grabbed the strawberries and placed them inside the fridge, saving them for later.

A dream, huh.