12 | liquor

River (k)

Who knew, the alcoholic man's daughter is an alcoholic herself.

It's my 5th bottle, but the alcohol doesn't kick in still. How many more do I have to take in order to forget?

Avery.

In a fair distance, I could've sworn I heard someone shout her name. I looked at their direction but all I could see were people grinding on the dancefloor. I shook my head in disbelief.

Okay.. that might be the alcohol.

Avery.

I held on to the glass tight upon hearing it again. Is this all in my head? Why on earth will avery be here when she was just discharged a few days back?

Taking one last shot of my drink, I stood up and paid the bartender. My gut was telling me to roam around the place, but I don't really know why. I stopped my tracks when I remembered the things I have to do tomorrow.

You know what? fuck it. I'll go home.

My feet dragged me into the valet area and opened my car when a familiar figure stood on the side walk, waiting for a taxi.

Wait a second...

Avery?

"Why isn't there a goddamn taxi cab?!" She shouted and held on to the pole beside her to balance herself. I suddenly felt this weird feeling inside my chest seeing her right now. It definitely lightened up my mood but questions started to fill my head.

Is she alone?

Why is she drunk?

Walking towards her, I grabbed her arm and placed it around mine. Her eyes were already half closed. "Avery," I spoke.

"Leave me alone, stranger." Her voice was groggy and sleepy. She tried to resist but she's weak enough to do so.

God. What if someone else saw her and not me? They could've took advantage of her right away. Where's her friend?

"It's me, River." Right after saying those words, she laughed.

"River like the doctor?? or river...like the girl that I.. fell in love with?" My chest tightened. Am I the reason why she's in this state?

"Avery, let go of the pole. I'll take you inside my car and drive you home." She refused to remove her grip on the pole but eventually did. I helped her walk towards my car and let her inside the passenger seat.

"Hmm.."

She's trying her best to open her eyes but clearly, she'd be knocked out soon. "Where.." She spoke. "River.."

Right. I don't know where she lives. Is it alright to take her home with me?

"Avery, do you have a phone I could use to call someone?" She shook her head. Right. The accident.

"Avery—" She's sleeping already. Ah, fuck. This is harder than I thought.

Starting the engine, I'm just thankful I saw her in time. Taking one last look at her before driving away, all I ever felt was guilt rushing through my veins.

Guilt for inflicting pain on her for something that wasn't real.

"I'm sorry, Avery."

I can never be her.

The girl she loved.