10 | rest

river (k)

At around 8 in the evening, I finished all my work and sent them immediately to the chief. When he told me I could finally have my rest, I found myself walking towards Avery's room.

It's been hours since I last saw her but it somehow felt like days. This job of mine is really exhausting.

Upon entering her room, she was sound asleep. I guess it's too late now, huh. 

I walked up towards her bed and examined her features once again. Even with the dim lights, her beauty was overwhelming.

Her head was facing the other side when I saw the scar on her head. It was from the operation I did and well, I guess I did a pretty good job. It's not too obvious. You'll only see it if you pay close attention.

I was about to leave her room when I heard her voice.

"River?" She asked me. I turned around to face her.

"Hey.. I just checked up on you. I'm sorry if I bothered your sleep." I said.

"Are you still busy?" She asked me, a hint of sadness can be heard from her voice.

Well, I'm here now, aren't I?

"No."

It was utter silence after that. Her eyes couldn't meet mine but I could see how much she wanted to speak.. like she wanted to tell me something.

...so I asked her instead.

"Do you want me to stay?"

I stepped closer to her bed and with every step I made, I could feel my heart trying to leap out of my chest. It beats so fast.

"...always."