31 | the explanation, the end (bonus)

To summarize it all up, River's POVs were all guilt eating her up indirectly. Oceane wasn't real, and the person she was pertaining to was Avery. She blames herself for the accident.

"I'm the reason why she's suffering and all I'm asking for is for her forgiveness. As you can see, I failed again."

"I'm the reason why she's inside the fucking hospital."

these and some of the lines in the story were all about avery. Indeed, it was another dream inside a dream. None of it was real except chapter 29 and 30.

In Avery's first dream, she saw River as her patient. In the next, as her doctor, and for the last time, finally in reality, she'll see her lover. They say that the most important people never leave our heads (and our hearts ofc,) and even though she was in a coma, her lover (river) never left her mind. She was her constant, and in all alternate realities / dreams, she was always there.

When Avery woke up, she was relieved to see her again for the last time before the heavens take her away.

"Losing you would be my cause of death."

River's line from Metamorphosis was actually a premonition. In chapter 29 in Oblivion, the flashback was about River leaving Avery. When river left that night, she lost Avery the day after. Avery losing River was her cause of death.

"It is only in romances that people undergo a sudden metamorphosis. In real life, even after the most terrible experiences, the main character remains exactly the same."