18 | date

Avery (w)

There she was outside wearing a casual outfit, one I'm not really used in seeing. She's always wearing a scrub suit and her white coat so seeing her like this for the first time makes me feel... happy. It's like she's a normal person for once.

"Hey." She started. I walked towards her, my heart leaping out of my chest with every step I take. She opened the car door for me and I got in, closing it right after.

She's so polite. That's that.

When she got inside as well, she fidgeted her fingers on the steering wheel, finding the right words to say. Should I be the one initiating the conversation now?

"Thank you for agreeing." I said. "I-I know this is weird because I'm just your patient before but I just really want to make it up to you... though you're the one who picked me up instead of me.."

She smiled. "It's no biggie, Avery. Plus, since we're out of the hospital, I guess we can finally be acquaintances."

...not friends?

"...or friends." She continued as if she read my mind. My chest started to feel lighter, like something heavy was removed on top of it. She's comfortable.

She started the engine and drove away.

Right now, I guess this is fate playing with me and for some reason, maybe this is the life the River I had in my head wanted me to have. To be with her outside the steel bars. To be with her without getting scared or threatened. To be with her the way I wanted to.

And if we can't be more than what I wished for, being her friend is all I'd ask.