17 | Text message

Avery (w)

"You've been staring at her number for hours now. Why don't you message her already?" Gianni rolled her eyes at me. "Come on, Ave. It's been two days. No need to be hesitant."

I turned my phone off and sighed. "I just.. I don't want to disturb her. She's a busy person and I guess meeting her a few days back was enough. She knows my intention already so—"

"We both know that you'll be thinking about this for another week, right?" Oh god. Gianni knows me so well. "Fine."

"That's my girl."

I chuckled and finally had this small burning courage to message her.

But what? What am I going to say?

'Hey it's me, Avery. You know, the girl who got into a coma?'

Ew. That sucks so bad.

Delete.

'This is Avery Frey. Can we meet up?'

Okay this is just weird.

Again.

'It's Avery. Is now a good time to message you?'

I guess this is the one. Should I press send? I mean, it's a Thursday evening and I have no idea if she's busy or not and—

"There! Sent." Gianni sneaked behind me and hit the send button before I could even do it myself.

"What was that for?"

"It took you ages to send one damn message, Ave. You're welcome." Chuckling, I threw a pillow at her. "I hate you."

"Nah, you love me." She said and winked. I rolled my eyes and sat down on the couch.

"Anyway," She started. I noticed her grabbing two wine glasses in the kitchen and opened a glass of Champagne. "Since you'll be starting your new job tomorrow, how about we have a little fun for tonight?" Grabbing the glass, we started the night with a toast. Right. I totally forgot about going to work.

"I'm proud of you, Ave." Don't get me emotional now, Gianni. I hate crying. "I'm sure Ava is, too." With her mentioning my late sister, I felt vulnerable once again.

I took her in for a warm hug, feeling grateful having her in my life. Without Gianni, I don't think I'll be able to survive everything. Even with my parent's treasures given to me, without her, life wouldn't be the same.

Breaking the hug, she smiled at me. "You might want to check your phone now. Little miss Valentine might've replied back."

I took a sip of my drink and indeed saw a notification.

'I see you finally left a message. I just got home from the hospital. What do you want to talk about again?'

...finally? was she waiting for me to text her?

"Girl, you better ask that woman for a date." Gianni commented. "Tonight."

"Tonight? But she just got home—"

"Oh cut it out, Ave. You're just having dinner. It's not like you two are going to fuck all night."

"GIANNI!"

"I just stated facts, hon. Ask her out now."