25 | opposite

Avery (w)

I stared at her sleeping figure, a lot of thoughts entering my head. She looked so fragile when she's asleep, but a tough one when she's awake. I don't know why I'm here waiting for her to wake up.

I called Alvarez to confirm if Oceane is related to River, and indeed, the two are twins.

My dream was becoming a reality but with an altered story. Based on Oceane's background, she came in the hospital with bruises all over her body. She was terrified, vulnerable, and never talked to anyone. Olivia told me that's it's as if her family abused her.

Just like my river.

Is this deja vu?

River's breathing became rapid, her chest was rising up and down and her head was moving. "No.."

She's having a nightmare.

"River, wake up." I shook her body gently. When she opened her eyes, tears were falling.

"What.."

The second she saw me, she scooted away. "What are you doing here?"

"Don't you remember what happened at the hospital?" I asked her. She looked away, finally coming to her senses.

"Leave. Now."

"I know about your sister." She stopped her tracks and looked at me, her eyes filled with mixed emotions I couldn't read.

Flashbacks came rushing in.

"Don't you ever bring her up again."

"What you did inside the hospital was outrageous, River. I work there and Oceane's doctor is my friend. They're expecting an answer."

"I don't fucking need you here!" She stood up, anger rising in her sleeves. I was startled.

"I-I just want to help—"

"Help?! Fuck you." She walked towards me and all I ever felt was become small and scared. What's happening?

"I was fine before you told me about your story. The moment I heard it, it fucked me up all over again. Everyday. Every fucking day like it's an alarm going off inside my head."

"River.."

She was crying. "I'm the reason why Oceane's inside the fucking hospital. I hurt her the way my father did to me. I caused her the trauma. I made her lose her mind. I hurt her!"

"..and every time I look at you.." Her eyes pierced into mine, telling me a thousand hurtful things all at once.

"You remind me of the monster I've become.."

"How do you see love, river?" I asked. She answered me without a pause and it made my heart skip a beat.

"You.. I see you."

It hurts so much.

"Your story made me feel shitty. The guilt was eating me whole and I can never fucking love someone like you. All you'll ever be is a reminder of my past that demands so much to be remembered."

"just leave.."

"River I.."

"Please just leave before I hurt you!"

"I love you...Avery.. Please stay."