8 | caffeine

river (k)

I visited Avery to check if her vitals were alright and stable. Her body's still adjusting, and I have to observe her for a few more days. If things go well, then.. I guess she can be discharged already.

Her friend isn't here. That's new.

I couldn't help but walk closer to her. She was still in deep slumber and all I could say is that she's one real life sleeping beauty. Even with chapped lips due to dehydration, she was a natural.

I noticed her brows twitch.

"Hmm.. riv..er."

She's dreaming, isn't she?

Her head moved on the side, and based on her facial expressions, I believe she's having a nightmare. I quickly tapped her shoulder and caressed her cheek, waking her up.

"N-no.."

"Avery," I spoke. Her chest was heaving up and down as if she ran a marathon. Worry was evident in her face.

"Are you alright?" I asked her. She's slightly shaken up but she's finally coming to her senses.

"Y-you're here.."

I smiled. "Yeah. I am.. I was uh.. doing my daily rounds checking on you."

She slumped back down. "Thank god it was just another stupid dream.." she whispered but enough for me to hear.

"What was it about?" I asked.

She looked at me but quickly looked away. "Just another nightmare."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I-I.." Was it a little too much?

"Don't worry. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

She gave me a small smile.

lub dub.

I gulped.

What was that?

Weird.

"Are you hungry? I can call the kitchen to deliver some food for you." I offered, diverting my attention to something else.

She nodded like a little kid. Cute.

"I saw your food chart and it says that you're not allergic to anything. So.. what do you want for breakfast? The cook's really good. I can request."

Her face brightened up, her lips turning into a crescent. "Really?"

"Of course. What do you want?" I grabbed my pen, ready to write what she wanted on the piece of paper I brought with me. Silly how I'm now acting like her waiter.

It took her a while to finally decide what she wants.

"Can I have japanese food?" She asked with her eyes filled with hope. How can I say no?

A smile unconsciously crept on my face. I placed the pen down and looked her. "One japanese meal for Miss Avery Frey coming up."

She chuckled, and I could've sworn it made my heart skip a beat.

and another.

and another.

I must've took too much caffeine last night. This isn't normal.

"I-I'll give your request to the hospital kitchen. The food won't take long."I told her.

"You won't come back?"

"Oh.. Well I—"

"Is it alright if you.. accompany me? Gianni won't be around and I'm scared of being alone.."

As much as I want to stay here with her, I have other errands to attend to. I have plenty of work waiting for me on the desk.

"I'm sorry."

Her mood went down, I can tell. Her eyes weren't... happy anymore.

I internally cursed at myself for being so busy.

"I.. have to go."

I walked towards the door, my heart feeling heavy.

yup, definitely the coffee.