19 | not her

Avery (w)

We ended up strolling at the park with street food on our hands. She and I couldn't decide what restaurant we should eat in, but this is much better. I like the privacy as well. There's no one else around but us.

"This is the first time I went out with someone I barely knew." She said, slowly pushing her feet to move the swing.

"How is it so far?" I asked her. I took a sip of my coke and took a bite of this American burger I bought.

She chuckled. "Not so bad."

"I'm a boring person, aren't I?" I asked.

She looked at me and shook her head. "No, no. You're just different." She said. "I usually hang out with my friends in Seoul. They're all loud and crazy and you're.. quiet and.. I don't know, normal?" I laughed. Who knew the doctor can be like this.

"But no joke. You're fun." She said. "The day you were discharged, I told myself that I no longer want to get involved in your life."

"But here I am, aren't I?" She chuckled. "I don't know why I'm intrigued with your story, Avery. I just couldn't believe it."

"Well, I couldn't believe that it wasn't real." I told her. "The last thing I saw before waking up was you taking a bullet for me... You were there in my arms, River. The moment I woke up, all I ever thought about was you and if you were okay. It all felt too real.."

She and I finished our food and threw it in the bin. We started walking.

"I'm sorry." She said.

"You should never be." I told her. "Afterall, it's just all in my head.. The thing is, the feelings stayed."

She stopped her tracks. "Avery,"

She looked at me with apologetic eyes. "I'm not her.. you know that, right?"

My chest tightened.

"... I'm not the River you knew in your dreams. I can't like or love you back. I'm not capable of doing those things."

She ended things before we could even start it.
I could hear my heart breaking, but I had to be strong. I'm so tired if being vulnerable.

"I know how fucked up it sounds, loving someone that doesn't even exist, but I can't get rid of these feelings in one night."

"Ave—"

"I'll be fine, River. It's not like we can do anything about it. I get it. You won't be her, and you'll never be."

"But I'm not asking for more. I won't do anything that'll make you uncomfortable. I know what I told you was sudden and my story caught you off guard, but all I want is this. This very moment. Us talking. Us together walking as nothing but semi-strangers trying to figure out if we can be friends."

"I just want this, River. I won't be asking for anything else."