chapter ten

It's late when I come back to the apartment. I decide to take a quick shower before I go to check on Owen and make sure that he's okay. I also might beat Charlie up in the process, but we'll see what happens.

Once I'm showered and sure that I don't look as exhausted as I feel, I make my way to Charlie and Owen's apartment.

I decide to knock and be polite for once, and it takes a good minute before someone opens the door.

"Jenny! I was just about to come over to your apartment," Charlie says once he sees me. His smile fades a bit when he processes the angry look on my face.

"Charles, you haven't talked to me in a whole day," I say, suddenly aware of how petty I sound. I try to change my tone a bit. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, you worry too much. Owen's feeling sick, and I've been trying to deal with him. Spoiler alert- he's super needy when he's sick. I didn't mean to make you feel left out," he says.

"Well, I was going to beat you up once I got here, but now that you say that... I guess I'll have to forgive you," I grin.

"Beat me up? Please, Jenny. I had to open up your water bottle for you the other day."

"I didn't come here to be attacked," I say as I put my hand on my heart, pretending to look hurt. "I actually came to check on Owen. I ate lunch with Madison, and she informed me that he was sick. I've been worried about him."

Charlie raises his eyebrows and finally moves aside so I can come in the apartment. "You've been worried about him?" he asks.

"Yes, that's quite literally what I just said."

I could tell that he wanted to say something else, but he held himself back. "You know where his bedroom is at. He's probably asleep, but I doubt he'll mind you waking him up, if you know what I mean."

"Got it. Thanks, Charlie." He gives me a little eye roll for some reason, but walks back into his room without saying anything else.

I knock on Owen's door softly, to see if he was actually awake. When I don't get a response, I slowly open the door and peek in (like a stalker).

I can barely see Owen under his comforter. He's rolled up in it, and all I can see is from the eyes up. I hate to wake him up, but I just really want to know he's okay. He probably won't be very okay after I wake him up, but too bad.

I take a deep breath before reaching over and slightly shaking his shoulder. "Owen? It's Jennifer." It takes him a second, but I see his eyes flutter open, and I can see him slowly registering that I'm beside him.

"Jenny? What are you doing here?" he asks softly.

"I just wanted to check on you. Madison told me you were sick," I tell him.

"Aw, Jenny, were you worried about me?" he teased.

"Maybe I was, is that such a bad thing?" I say as I cross my arms. "Seriously, are you okay?"

"Well, I'm not feeling great, but it's not unbearable. Just a raging headache and a stuffy nose," he says.

"Is there anything you need?" I ask, and he shakes his head no.

"It's enough that you're here. Even if you woke me up from my beauty rest," he grins.

"Hey, I got here as quick as I could," I pout.

"Totally kidding. I'm glad you came to check on me. How was work without me? Completely unbearable?"

"Nah, Mads and I had a nice lunch date without you," I grin. "I did miss you, though. It's never the same when one of the guys are missing."

"I won't be gone too long. Hopefully I'll be better by the end of the weekend and I'll be back to set on Monday," he tells me.

"I hope so. No offense, but you look pretty rough."

"I'm fine, Jenny. I think it's just a cold. Stop worrying about me," he says.

"But it's my specialty!" He smiles and shakes his head. "Fine, Owen. I'll leave you to your beauty rest that I so rudely interrupted. You need anything else before I go?"

"I think I'm good. Thanks for checking on me."

"Of course. I hope you feel better."

"Me too. Go get some sleep, stop worrying about me," he smiles.

"You know I can't promise that. Night, Owen," I say as I walk out of the door.

"Goodnight, Jenny."

I try to close his door carefully, and I make my way back to my apartment. I hear noises coming from Savannah's room, so I guess she got home when I was over at Owen's.

I head into her room to see her getting ready for bed. She looks up at me and smirks.

"Where have you been?"

"At Charlie and Owen's. I was checking on Owen since I heard that he was sick," I tell her.

"I see," she says as she sits down on her bed. "I missed you today. It feels weird not being with you in the studio."

"I know, right? It's not the same. I'm ready to get back to working with Dirty Candy. Not that the stuff we're doing right now is bad, but I miss you all."

"Agreed. And playing a villain can be exhausting."

"I'm sure. I doubt Charlie or Owen are going to come over and force us to watch movies with them tonight, so at least you'll have some time to rest."

She nods. "Very true. I love those two, but I also love my own bed," she says as I laugh.

"Same here. Get some sleep, Sav."

"You too, Jenny. Goodnight!"

"Night!" I say as I walk out of her room, shutting the door behind me.

I quickly fix some strawberry milk before climbing into bed and scrolling through Pinterest. I try to distract myself as best I can at night, because it's the only time I'm not doing much and have time to think. And when I think too much, I get sad.

I try not to think about my parents as I fall asleep. They still haven't reached out since the phone call, and I shouldn't care, but I do. It still hurts.

And when I finally fall asleep, I have more nightmares. I sleep on and off, but I eventually stop trying after I have about three different nightmares. Sleeping just isn't worth it.

So I stay up. And think.