chapter eleven

I start getting ready relatively early this morning. I try my best to cover up the dark circles forming under my eyes, but makeup can only go so far. Once I'm satisfied with how I look, I walk into the kitchen to see Savannah already standing there.

"Morning, Sav."

"Good morning," she replies as she stuffs a waffle into her mouth. "I heard you getting ready early this morning. Any reason why?"

"No, I was just up early and couldn't fall back asleep," I respond. It technically wasn't a lie, it was just withholding information.

"Were you that worried about Owen?" she asks in a mocking tone.

"No," I objected. Most of my nightmares may or may not have been about him, but she doesn't need to know that. "I just... wasn't tired."

"You're a really bad liar, you know."

I roll my eyes as I grab a Capri-Sun from the refrigerator. "I'm not lying."

"Sure. Keep telling yourself that. And that's why you're going over to his apartment first thing in the morning- because you're 'not worried.'"

"How'd you know that I was going over to his apartment?"

"Because I know you," she says with a smirk.
I hear a knock on the door, and Savannah goes to get it.

"Hey!" I hear Charlie's peppy voice enter into the apartment.

"Charlie, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"Is that the way you greet your best friend, Jenny?" he asks as I roll my eyes. "C'mon, I know you're excited to see me."

"Yeah, okay." I say as I smile at him.

"That smile on your face says otherwise," he smirks. "Anyway, to answer your question, Sav and I figured you were going to hang with Owen today, so we made plans with Jeremy."

"So you just 'figured' I would be hanging with Owen, so you both went and made plans without me?" They both hesitantly nod. "I see how it is."

"Well if you want to come and leave Owen alone, you can," Charlie says, smiling at me.

"That's cruel, Charles. Plain cruel."

"Don't lie to us and say you weren't planning on hanging with Owen today," he retorts.

"I was going to check in on him to see if he's feeling better, but that doesn't make your plan any less cruel," I tell him.

"You'll thank us later."

"Yeah, we'll see about that."

I stayed with Charlie and Savannah for a few more minutes until it was time for them to leave, then I made my way next door.

I knock softly on Owen's door to see if he's awake yet, and when I don't hear a response, I let myself in.

He's in almost the exact same position I left him in last night, except he's hugging his comforter tightly. I go over and try to shake him awake, but I have no luck. He doesn't move a muscle.

"Owen?"

Once I finally said his name, he started to stir. He let go of his tight hold on the comforter, and slowly opens his eyes, acting like it hurt to open them too much.

"Are you going to make a habit out of waking me up?"

"Looks like it," I grin as Owen sits up. "Actually, our dear friends decided to ditch us for the day, so I'm stuck with you. Unless you don't want me here," I say.