chapter twenty-five

We spend the whole day Sunday working on wrapping Owen's room. It was a lot harder than we originally anticipated, but we got it done. We also switched the bathrooms, which was a pain considering Charlie's bathroom was a complete and utter mess.

Owen also gave us all a scare when he FaceTimed me out of nowhere while we were in the middle of wrapping his bed. Charlie immediately grabbed my phone out of my hands and hit the ignore button, giving me a mini heart attack because I didn't want Owen to think I was trying to ignore him. I ran out of his room and back into my apartment and quickly called him back.

Luckily, he didn't mention it when we talked. He made me go give the phone to Charlie so he could talk to him, but we made sure we did that in the living room so we wouldn't give away our little prank.

We got done wrapping up Owen's room around dinner time, so Charlie, Sav, Jeremy, Mads, and I all ate together. We ordered food and had it delivered, and we all ate in Charlie's apartment to celebrate finally being done with moving and wrapping Owen's room.

I go back to my apartment a little earlier than everyone else, just because I'm ready for bed. I'm completely exhausted, and also I'm ready for tomorrow because Owen will finally be coming home. I've missed him a lot more than I'd care to admit.

I see a missed FaceTime call from Owen when I get out of the shower, and I quickly call him back. It rings a few times but then opens up to his smiling face.

"I was hoping you weren't asleep already," he greets.

"Nope, but I'm about to be."

"You that tired, Jenny? What have Charlie and Savannah been doing to you?" he asks, and I try to laugh it off in hopes that I wouldn't give away our prank. "You're still wearing my hoodie."

"Yeah, I haven't washed it since you gave it to me, but it's okay," I smile. "It's really comfy. And it smells like you."

"Aw, Jenny pays attention. You know you're gonna have to give it back at some point, right?"

"Maybe I will. Maybe I won't."

"Fine. But I'll steal one of your way-too-big hoodies in exchange. A hoodie for a hoodie."

"I do have one too many way-too-big hoodies. Deal."

He grins. "Want me to stay on the phone with you until you fall asleep?"

"That's cute and all, but I don't think I'd be able to sleep knowing that you're looking at me through a phone screen."

"But I watch you fall asleep literally every night," he asks, giving me a confused look.

"It's different when it's on a phone."

"I'll never understand you. But I'll be back to cuddle with you tomorrow night!"

"I'm looking forward to it," I assure him. "Goodnight!"

"Night, Jenny," he says, and then hangs up. I make sure to charge my phone up, and I fall asleep cuddling the stuffed animal Owen got me, whom I named Kitty.

I have to wake up early the next morning because I'm supposed to be at the studio. I get ready quickly, and get Charlie to drive me. We're supposed to be going to pick up Owen around lunchtime, and I could not be looking more forward to it.

The morning seems to go by so slowly just because I'm waiting on noon to come around so that I can see Owen again. I find my mind wandering just a bit too much during practice, so much so that I messed up a couple of times, which is super unusual for me.

By the time we took a break for lunch, I was so giddy I could hardly think straight. I immediately went over to where Charlie was at, and we walked to the car together. Sav was at the apartment, but she decided not to come when we pick up Owen. She wanted to be there to record Owen's reaction to our prank.

"You ready for this, Jenny?" Charlie asks once we get in the car.

"Of course. I've only been waiting for this since he left on Friday."

"Jenny, don't you think you're a little too attached?"

"I KNOW I'm a little too attached. You don't have to tell me."

When we arrived at the airport, Charlie rode around the entire parking lot what felt like thirty times before he actually found a parking spot. I immediately went to get out but stopped myself when I saw that Charlie was making no effort in moving.

"You coming?" I ask impatiently.

"No, I don't think I am," he smirks. "I'll let you get him, you're the one he wants to see in the first place."

"Not true, you're his best friend."

"And you're his... whatever you are. Jenny, you should be thanking me instead of complaining, you know."

"And why would I be thanking you for leaving me?"

"Because I'm setting you and Owen up," he says, matter-of-factly.

"I told you to stay out of it," I hiss. "I'll go. Only because I'm done having to deal with you." And with that, I shut the car door and made my way into the airport.

It took around five minutes and several text messages for Owen to find where I was at. I saw him before he saw me, and once I did, I instantly shot out of my seat, earning a few glares from the people sitting close to me. I run up towards Owen, and once I get up closer to him, he finally sees me coming.

I engulf him in one of the tightest hugs I've ever given him. He responds in kind, wrapping his arms around me tightly. I feel him press his lips to the top of my head, making my heart do all kinds of crazy things.

"I missed you so much," he says, not letting go of me.

"Bet I missed you more."

He pulls back from our hug, but still holds one of my hands. "Where's Charlie? I thought he was supposed to drive you."

"He did. He's waiting in the car." I can see him about to ask why, so I continue. "Don't ask me why. He never gave me a good reason."

At least I successfully avoided that conversation. I walk him back to the car, our hands still intertwined. I really, really don't want to let go.

When we reach the car, Charlie gets out of his seat so that he can hug Owen. Their hug doesn't last as long as ours did, but it's still pretty long.

Owen climbs into the backseat with me, leaving Charlie all alone up front. He complains, but we ignore it. Owen grabs my hand again once we're back in the car.

"I hope you all didn't have too much fun while I was gone," Owen says. "Every time I called Jenny she looked completely worn out."

"Gee, thanks," I say, and he squeezes my hand in response.

"We did do something while you were gone, but that's for us to know and for you to find out," Charlie says.

"Should I be worried?" Owen asks, looking at me.

"Maybe a little bit," I say, smiling. "Kidding. But you'll see soon enough."