chapter twenty-nine

Filming for Nothing to Lose is scheduled for tomorrow, so I've been working all day long.

By the time we finished up for the day, I was ready to go home and sleep for about twelve hours. I can't do that, for obvious reasons, but a girl can dream.

Savannah wasn't with us today, so I went to find Charlie and Owen once I was finished at the studio. I walk all around before giving up and walking to the parking lot, and I see that they were already in the car waiting for me. They could've at least sent a text or something, but I should be used to this by now.

"No one thought to inform me that you were already out here? I was looking everywhere for you two," I say, climbing into the backseat. Owen's in the passenger seat, which is unusual. Usually he sits back here with me, but I guess since they came back by themselves, he decided not to.

"Sorry, Jenny," Charlie said genuinely. "I meant to text you, but I got caught up in conversation." I look over at Owen, who is currently staring at the floor. I have a really bad feeling that I just interrupted a serious conversation.

"Oh, um, it's okay," I try to assure him. "Sorry for interrupting your conversation."

"It's fine, Jenny," Charlie says. Owen finally breaks his gaze off of the floor and gives me a small smile. I smile back.

We drive back in almost complete silence, except for the occasional "how was your day?" Neither of them really seemed like they wanted to speak, which made me extremely worried. I don't know what's wrong, and I can't stand not knowing.

Once we get back to the apartment, Charlie and Owen leave for their apartment without saying much of anything else to me. When I got into my apartment, I immediately knocked on Savannah's door. She yelled "come in," so I let myself in and plopped myself on the end of her bed.

"Well, you look distressed," she says, and I nod.

"I am distressed. Charlie and Owen were acting really weird on the drive home."

"How so?"

"They were both super quiet. They had gotten in the car before me, and left me to figure that fact out for myself. When I finally found them, it looked like I had just interrupted a really deep conversation. They were so quiet the entire ride home."

"You're right, that doesn't seem like them. Well, unless they're extremely tired, but it's still doubtful. I wonder what they were talking about."

"I don't know, and that's the problem," I reason. "I don't like not knowing. Like what if they were talking about me and decided that I was not worth their time anymore, and that's why they were quiet? My mind goes places."

"I highly doubt that was what it was about," Savannah says. "You know, you could just ask them."

"Maybe, but still. It seemed like a pretty serious conversation. I don't want to seem intrusive."

"It never hurts to ask."

"I could probably ask Charlie... he seemed okay with me when I got in the car. If it's something bad about me, I don't think I'd want to hear it from Owen. Is that bad?"

"No, I don't think so. Charlie will probably give you an honest answer if you ask him when you're alone. He gets a little crazy when there are other people around."

"True. I might try to go interrogate him after I take a shower."

"Sounds like a plan," she says, smiling at me.

"Thanks for helping calm my nerves, Sav."

"Anytime, Jenny. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. And if you do talk to Charlie- or Owen- let me know what they say. From what you've told me, I'm a bit worried myself." I nod and walk out of her room.

I continue to worry as I try to get ready for bed. Once I'm showered, I put on Owen's hoodie and a pair of sweatpants before I head down to the guy's apartment. Neither one of them are in the living room when I let myself in, so I go over and softly knock on Charlie's door. It opens pretty quickly, revealing a tired-looking Charlie.

"Hey, Jenny," he says, letting me in. "What's up?"

"Did I interrupt you and Owen today? I've felt really bad about it- you both seemed so quiet on the car ride home."

"Whoa, it's okay. Yeah, Owen and I were talking, but we got the rest of our conversation in after we got back home. It's okay," he tries to assure me again.

"What we're you talking about? It seemed pretty serious, and you had me worried."

"Um..." he thinks before responding. "I can't really say much because I promised Owen I wouldn't say anything and I'm not gonna break that promise. But I promise there's nothing to worry about." When I don't seem too convinced, he continues on. "If you're that worried, ask Owen about it."

"That's part of the reason why I'm worried," I tell him. "If you were talking bad about me, I don't want to hear it from Owen."

Charlie looks at me like I'm speaking a totally different language. "Jenny, we weren't talking bad about you. Yes, the conversation involved you, but that doesn't inherently make it bad."

"Sorry," I respond. "I have a tendency to assume the worst, I know."

"It's okay, Jenny. But seriously, talk to Owen about it. It's okay if you don't feel like doing it tonight, but do it soon."

"Okay. Sorry for bothering you, Charlie. I was just extremely worried when you two were quiet the entire ride home. You're both usually some of the most chaotic people ever, especially when you're together."

"Stop apologizing, it's okay," he says, wrapping me up in a hug. The brotherly gesture almost brings me to tears. "We're all good, Jenny. Stop thinking you're always doing something wrong. I know your parents reinforced that belief, but that's not how we do things here. We're your friends, we couldn't possibly talk bad about you."

"Thanks, Charlie," I say, tightening the hug before letting go.

"Anytime, Jenny. Now stop worrying," he laughs. "And talk to Owen either tonight or another night soon. For my sake, and his." I'm not exactly sure what that meant, but I nod, assuring him I would.

When I walk out of Charlie's room and make my way back to my apartment, Owen is still nowhere to be seen. I try not to overthink too much, but it's kind of impossible when you're me.

After several minutes of scrolling through Pinterest in an effort to distract myself, I hear a knock on my door. I get up to open it, and I see a smiling Owen on the other side, holding a cup filled with strawberry milk.