chapter thirty-eight

a/n- the song i added was one of my biggest sources of inspiration for this story, and i'm so glad i finally got to incorporate it into a chapter. you'll understand how it comes into play near the end ;)

Owen opens the door for me when we arrive at Charlie's car. We're stealing it for the night.

"M'lady," he smiles as I climb into the passenger seat and he closes my door and comes around to the driver's seat.

"Stealing Cat Noir's lingo once again," I grin. "But seriously, are you gonna tell me where we're going?"

"No way, it has to be a surprise. I promise I'm not kidnapping you or anything, and I'm not going to blindfold you or any of that stuff. But I'm not giving away what it is until we get there."

I sigh, knowing that no matter what I try, he isn't going to give it away. He's stubborn like that.

"Here," he says, handing me the aux cord. "Play whatever you want. We have about a twenty-minute drive, you can get in some Ruel between now and then."

"How'd you know I was going to play Ruel?" I ask, already pulling up my Ruel playlist on Spotify.

"Because I know you," he says, smiling at me. I shuffle my playlist and Painkiller comes on, which is a Ruel song that I have emotionally attached to Owen. Guess it fits the scenario then.

Owen holds my hand as we drive, and he laughs at my horrible attempts at singing. I catch him singing along to a few songs at times, which makes me go quiet so that I can hear him sing. Even though he doesn't think his voice is that good, it's absolutely breathtaking, and I can't get enough of it.

Even though I was a bit anxious about the date for multiple reasons, I trust Owen. And I know whatever he has planned will be absolutely perfect. Honestly, just driving around at night while listening to Ruel (like we're doing now) is already my definition of the perfect date. Can't complain.

"Okay, we're here," Owen says, parking at some random place I've never been before. I think it might be a park from the looks of it, but I'm not sure. He comes around and opens the door for me, and grabs my hand as I get out.

"Wanna help me out?" he asks, opening the trunk of the car. I see a bunch of blankets and pillows in there, including Owen's favorite blanket.

"Hey, when did you steal this?" I say, picking up the blanket.

"When you weren't looking," he winks, picking up a few more blankets and pillows. I take some too until we have them all, and Owen closes the trunk. He tells me to follow him, and I do. I do figure out that we are at a park because I see a playground. Owen leads me around bushes and trees until I see this open field where you can see the sky very clearly. It's beautiful, and I have to stop for a second and just admire it.

"Like the view?" Owen asks, seeing me looking up at all of the stars.

"I love it."

"Good, because that's what we're doing tonight," he grins, dropping all of the pillows and blankets in his hands on the ground. "I know you love the moon and the stars, so I figured this would be a good first date. Kind of relaxed so neither one of us would be too anxious, but also good because I knew you'd like it. And we can cuddle."

"Owen, it's perfect," I say, pulling him into a hug. He hugs me back just as fiercely and pulls back after a few seconds of rocking me back and forth.

We set up our little area, laying blankets and pillows down on the ground until we were satisfied with the look. Owen lays down first, and I snuggle up right next to him. Under his favorite blanket, of course. It's freezing outside, but I don't mind it. I dressed warm, I'm cuddled up with Owen, and I'm underneath a blanket. I'm good.