chapter thirty-nine

"So? Tell me everything!"

I was currently sitting at the end of Savannah's bed, facing towards a still half-asleep Savannah. Owen and I had gotten back late last night, but I promised Sav that I would tell her what happened, so I made sure to come to her room as soon as I woke up this morning. I had to carefully slip out of Owen's grip so that I didn't wake him up, which wasn't easy, but now he's safely cuddling with Kitty in my bed.

"Where do you want me to start?"

"I want every single detail, Jenny," she insists. "Start right after you left the apartment."

"Well, he still wouldn't tell me where we were going, but the drive there was really fun. He let me play a bunch of Ruel songs on the way up there."

"You're obsessed. Now, go on."

"When we got out, he made me help him get out a bunch of blankets and pillows he had stuffed in the trunk, and that's when I figured out that we were at a park. And we stargazed in this big open field, cuddled together under a bunch of blankets. And we talked- a lot. Like, deep stuff that I never talk about with anyone. And so did he, I learned a bunch of new stuff about him that I never knew. It was very... intimate, I guess is the right word."

"Aw, Jenny! That's adorable," she grins.

"It's probably the most romantic thing I've ever experienced... which isn't saying much, but still. And after we did that, we drove to Starbucks and got hot drinks because we were both freezing. And then it started raining, and I told him that I've always wanted to kiss someone in the rain-"

"Shut up," she says excitedly. "Did he?"

"Yes, and it was magical," I smile, remembering how it happened. "And then we danced, together, in the rain. To a song that I have emotionally attached to him. One of the lyrics of the chorus is 'home is wherever you are tonight' and it always makes me think of him, so it was perfect. The whole night was perfect."

"It sounds perfect!" she exclaims. "See, I told you not to be worried. Owen's a very thoughtful dude, I would never doubt him. I can tell he thought this through."

"I know," I agree. "Like, he made sure that he always opened the car door for me, and held my hand pretty much the entire drive. And, since we both have anxiety, he made sure to do something away from people so that we would be more comfortable."

"Jenny, you're making me feel so single right now, and honestly I don't even care. That's so cute!" she squeals. "I can't wait for the others to find out. You haven't told them yet have you?"

"No, the only people that know are you and Charlie. But I'm ready to see their reactions. Especially Madi's."

"For sure- she's been rooting for you two since the beginning," she tells me. "Literally. Like, day one she told me she hoped you two would get together."

"That- doesn't even surprise me," I shrug.

"She does make it pretty obvious," Sav grins. "But anyway, I am so glad you had an amazing first date. I had no doubt."

"Thank you, it really was wonderful- major props to Owen."

"Definitely. Now, go get back to your man before he gets mad that you're not there when he wakes up," she laughs. "He's very clingy, you know," she whispers like it's a secret.

"Oh yeah, I know. But I tolerate it, only because I'm clingy too."

"You two truly are perfect," she says as I get up off of her bed.

"Thanks, Sav." I give her one last smile before heading out of her room and back to mine. Luckily, I see that Owen is still asleep, with his head buried into Kitty. I try to slip back into bed as carefully as possible, but Owen stirs and sees me coming.

"Bugaboo? Where were you at?" he asks softly.

"Sav's room," I whisper. "Talking 'bout you."

That comment made him smile. He gently places Kitty at the top of my bed and cuddles up next to me. "All good things, I hope."

"Of course," I assure him.

We stay cuddled together, with him rubbing my back and me playing with his hair, trading kisses every once in a while. I probably could've fallen back asleep if I let myself because his presence is just so calming.

"Jenny? Can we just cuddle forever?"

"I'm not opposed," I smile. "You did say you were going to help me with my laundry today, though."

"I did," he sighs. "Still, can we cuddle for a few more minutes? I'm not ready to get up yet."

"How could I say no to that?"

"You can't," he smirks, pulling me closer to him. We stay like that for several more minutes until I convince him that if we don't get up right now, we would never get through all of my laundry. That finally gets him up and moving.

"Can I borrow one of your sweatshirts? I really don't wanna have to go back to my apartment and get questioned by Charlie, I may never come back," he says.

"That is very true. But yes you can take one, they're in the top right drawer," I say pointing to my dresser. "The bigger ones are on the left side, those will probably fit you better."

"Gotcha. Thanks, bugaboo." He goes over and rummages through the entire drawer until he picks one out. I notice that it's the same one I wore the night that I told him about my nightmares, and I wonder if he realizes. If he does, he doesn't say anything.

He closes the drawer back, and without warning, he takes off the hoodie he's currently wearing and throws it on my bed. I can feel my cheeks flame, because throughout my entire time of knowing him, I have never once seen him shirtless.

He looks back at me and smirks when he sees me staring. He knows exactly what he's doing. He pulls my hoodie on, which is even a bit big on him. But that makes sense considering it goes down to my knees when I wear it.

"How do I look?" he asks, twirling around in a circle.

"Amazing," I smile. "Did you know that that's the same hoodie I was wearing the first night you slept in my bed? When I told you about the nightmares?"

"Why do you think I picked it out?" he grins. "It's very soft, though. I think I might steal it."

"Well I currently have like four of yours, so I guess we'll call it even."

"That's not even at all, but I'll make an exception for you, bugaboo," he says, bending down to kiss my forehead. "Now, let's get this laundry done."

It takes us a while to get it all organized because I had put dirty clothes back in my dresser and there were also a ton laying around on the floor and in my bathroom. I would say only about a quarter of them made it into the dirty clothes bin. Eventually, we get them all sorted and we get the first load into a washing machine.

When we get back, Charlie's in our living room and we both get bombarded with questions about last night, as Owen had predicted earlier. Not that I minded, though. It really was the perfect date, and I wanted everyone to know. I told Charlie how perfect it was, which made Owen extremely flustered, but in an extremely cute way. And as we told the story together, I couldn't take my eyes off of his grinning face.