29. Talk To Me

39. "Just talk to me. Please. Your silence is killing me."

"Will you be alright?" Kyo asks for the umpteenth time to which Tohru lets out a huff, giving him a light push towards the door.

"I'm going to be fine," Tohru assures.

Kyo turns to look back at her again. She is smiling brightly at him like always. But... her smile isn't meeting her eyes. She's hiding something. She looks pale and sick. "I can stay," Kyo insists.

Tohru sighs and steps down on the genkan without her shoes to be close to him. She threads her fingers through his orange hair, smoothening the sleazy locks in a gentle, comforting way. "I'm fine, Kyo-kun. Really. Don't worry." She raises one fist and pumps it in the air. "I'm as fit as a fiddle!"

He chuckles lightly at her attempt to lighten the mood. But it's not going to ease his worries. "Still, maybe I should stay home today..." he trails off, his gaze drifts off to her belly.

Tohru is in the eleventh week of her pregnancy. And he is worried. He has been having strange feelings lately. Negative feelings, to be precise. But he pushes it down. Because maybe he still expects the worst-case scenario in everything.

However, this morning, when he woke up to his alarm at the dawn, he found her shifting on the bed uncomfortably, and her face was writhing in pain. Later she told him, she was having cramps and slight back pain. Apparently, it's normal during pregnancy. Yet, he can't shrug off the negative and bad thoughts that loomed over his mind.

Tohru smiles gently and cups his cheek with the hand that was caressing his hair. Kyo leans into her touch, letting her wrap her other arm around his middle in a warm embrace. "Don't worry about us," she affirms. "We will be fine. You be safe too."

Kyo hums half-heartedly. There's no point dragging the matter with her. So he pecks her lips and heavily parts from her to leave for his dojo. He looks at her waving at him happily for a long moment before closing the door.

He thought that maybe the worries will go away if he leaves the house but it only multiplied.

Is she going to be fine? She didn't seem okay. Was it a mistake to let her off the hook so easily? Maybe he should have pried for more details. Shit, I should have taken the day off.

He already doesn't like leaving Tohru alone at home during such a crucial time, but he has no option. Someone else won't earn for his family, now will they? 

He shakes his head. He is just getting paranoid. He needs to stop picturing the worst. But the symptoms...

Stop!

It's not what he is thinking. It can't be. Tohru doesn't deserve that. After all, she has been so excited about their first baby. Something this horrible can't happen to her. Absolutely not. She's fine. She will be fine. She has to be.

Therefore, Kyo puts a stone over his heart and tries to concentrate on work.

However, he gets a little too into it, that he blocks out every sound and every thought, only letting his muscle memory guide his movements.

"—sei! Sensei!"

Kyo snaps out of his trance with a startle to find a student of his standing in front of him while the whole class stared at him.

"Sensei, your phone has been vibrating for a while now in the corner," the student hands him the phone and returns to his position.

"Ah, thank you," Kyo says and turns on the screen of his phone. His heart drops at the sight. He has three missed calls from Tohru. "Shit," he curses and calls her back instantly, walking out of the practice room in a hurry. She doesn't answer this time, and his heart is immediately launched into a panic. He doesn't bother changing out of his gi as he informs one of the other instructors in gibberish and dashes out of the dojo. He knows it's not professional of him, but heck, that's the last thing he will care about when his wife needs him.