68. Our Precious Son

A/N: Princessofaura do we have telepathy or what? Just a few days before you suggested this to me, I already had this written completely, and so much of what you said matched, as if I just knew it. We are soulmates, probably, lol. Anyways, I hope all of you enjoy!

36. "Please make it stop."

Today is the most nerve-wracking and scariest day of Kyo Sohma's life so far.

But he supposes it has to be a thousand times worse for his wife.

Tohru is in so much pain that he feels like someone is squeezing his heart agonizingly and mercilessly. He hates seeing her in pain. Still, God knows how he can maintain such a calm facade when he is literally freaking out on the inside.

Kyo tries to keep smiling, even though his fingers are probably going to break from the way Tohru is gripping them every four minutes.

"Kyo-kun, how... how long?" she murmurs after the latest strong wave of contraction is over.

Kyo kisses her sweaty forehead and continues caressing her hair. "Just a little longer, love. Within twenty minutes or so, you should be fully dilated."

She nods and closes her eyes.

"You're taking it like a champ. I'm so proud of you," he whispers close to her.

She smiles and gives his numb hand a squeeze. "You're doing well too."

He snorts. "I'm not the one going through contractions, dummy. It's all you."

Just then, the door to their private cabin opens, and a familiar tall figure in kimono steps in.

Kyo sits up straight and rebukes, "About time, Dad! What took you so long?"

"Sorry, son. I made arrangements to leave as soon as you called this morning. But you can only blame the Tokyo traffic for any further delay," Kazuma replies calmly, then looks at Tohru with a smile. "How are you holding up, Tohru-kun?"

"I'm good, Dad. Thank you so much for coming so far! We are really grateful to have you!" she chirps, managing to pull a big smile.

Kyo and Kazuma both give her a baffled look; though Kazuma is more subtle, Kyo is not. He just stares jaw-dropped. Yeah, sure, she has been giving him small and sweet smiles until now, but she has this much energy and zeal? How the hell is she so damn strong?

Recovering from his surprise, Kazuma gives her another smile and says, "Of course, I had to come. I wouldn't miss this for the world. This is a very crucial yet joyous moment for you both. It shows how far you both have come in life, and I'm really happy I get to be a part of this."

As Tohru beams at Kazuma, even Kyo manages to crack a genuine smile.

But at the same time, looking at Tohru and her elated face, he feels like he shouldn't be this scared. After all, it's a joyous thing. His son is about to come into this world. Yet he somehow is. Shitless scared to his core. And seeing Kazuma is making his nerves come undone.

"Um, Tohru, do you mind if I go talk to Dad outside for a minute?"

"Of course not! Please go ahead," she responds earnestly. He kisses her forehead once more and is about to get up but is pulled back by a tug on his adjoined hand. "But please be back before the next contraction."

There's fear in her eyes. She told him beforehand that he has to stay with her throughout it all and that she doesn't want to be alone, even if it was very selfish of her, and he promised he would. He won't let her feel the absence of her mother on this day more than necessary.