42. I'll Always Protect You

A/N: Thank you so much to @ebrooklyn1202 for requesting this chapter, though it's all long overdue. Anyways, I hope you like it.

33. "You can always count on me to protect you."

"I'm so sorry, Kyo-kun," Tohru apologizes for the umpteenth time.

"Hey, I told you it's fine. I lost fair and square. It's my penalty, not yours. Now, get going, or else, you'll be late for your shift," Kyo says.

Tohru watches him with an upset look.

Like always, Kyo got too fired up and indulged in a game of rich-man-poor-man, which he ended up losing, and the penalty was to take on everyone's cleaning duties.

So here he was, harshly sweeping the classroom floor while muttering annoyed curses.

Tohru would've loved to help, but she has a work shift starting in half an hour.

"Tohru, go," Kyo urges, not wanting her to keep seeing what a big loser he was.

Tohru looks at him with a rueful expression, then she steels herself to walk up to him. He looks up and is about to ask her what's up, but with her cheeks tainted red, she grabs his cheeks and kisses him on the lips.

As if on an instinct, Kyo lets go of the mop and deepens the kiss, sparking electricity throughout her whole body.

Tohru gets distracted in his fervor and whirls her arms around his neck to create a better angle. He pulls her closer by her waist. God, his strong chest flushed against hers and his hands on her hips feel so good. She just wants to push him against the wall and—

Geez, so much for steeling your nerves, her subconscious taunts.

Tohru snaps out of the kiss abruptly, blushing red, and murmurs erratically, "I'll see you at home, Kyo-kun. Best of luck!" Then she grabs her school bag and dashes out of the classroom, leaving a confused Kyo behind.

"What the fuck just happened?" Kyo mutters to himself. She kissed him like it was her last second on earth, and he simply reciprocated, then she left just like that? What was that about?

He's not complaining, definitely. Tohru is full of surprises, after all. She can be so bold sometimes and leave him in the dust. And he loves her so much for that. Then he remembers that he has to say something, but she's already gone.

"Be safe," he says quietly.

Tohru is still blushing red when she is walking out of the school. Her teenage hormones are really getting the best of her these days. She just can't seem to stop going at Kyo like a starved predator. She only wanted to give him a goodbye kiss of encouragement, but... Sigh.

It's not entirely her fault, though. Kyo just makes her forget everything. He drives her crazy with every touch, they tingle and burn her in the best way possible. And the way he always acts makes her feel like it's the same with him. She also has that effect on him. Everything about their relationship literally is so heady. This feels like a very long dream.

When Tohru gets out of thoughts about her lovely boyfriend, seeing the completely empty school compounds, it unnerves her a little. She's sure the only people still present in the school building are the student council members and cleaning in-charge students.