77. Playing With His Hair

32. "You should play with my hair more often."

It's summer break.

Scorching heat and a hot boyfriend and boiling jealousy—a perfect combo. Just what Tohru Honda needs for a peaceful day.

She's at the school for her cooking club in the afternoon. Club activities remain active throughout the vacations, so today, she is here for a special class hosted by a professional chef.

Kyo had tagged along. No, not for the cooking classes.

Some of his friends wanted to play basketball on the school court. Since Kyo had time and was literally willing to watch Mogeta on TV with nothing better to do, he came along as well. In fact, he has dropped by a few other times too.

His friends had offered him to join the team since he excels so much at it. While he was tempted, in the end, he had refused, considering his utmost focus should be on martial arts and the dojo classes. So he just goes to play occasionally for fun. Tohru doesn't accompany him during those times nor does he ask her to because they both know all kinds of athletic stuff bore her to death, and just because they're dating, they don't have to do everything together.

However, Tohru was glad that Kyo was getting more out there and making friends and having normal fun—just like a high schooler should.

Tohru had parted ways with Kyo near the basketball court and had gone to attend her special class. Although, after an hour, when she gets a twenty minutes break, she wonders about what to do, only to be led to the basketball court. Maybe watching the game for a while won't be that bad.

There, she finds the bleachers full of girls, shouting and cheering obnoxiously loud. She smiles, seeing their enthusiasm. The game must be exciting. But as she follows their gaze and it lands on her boyfriend, it doesn't take long for her to connect the dots. She can't help but be annoyed at first.

But as she looks back at Kyo, taking him in properly, she herself goes 'Oh'.

Kyo in a basketball uniform.

His broad muscular shoulders and flexing biceps full on display. Running around the court with the ball and sweating. A big smug grin on his handsome face.

Tohru just stares in awe, having a hard time believing that it was her boyfriend, not a jock who came straight out of an American high school movie.

When Kyo jumps up to put the ball into the hoop, all the girls squeal as the ball goes through.

"Wow, Sohma-kun, you can jump so high!" a girl hollers.

Tohru rolls her eyes. Of course, Kyo can jump high. He was a cat. He could jump even higher in the past, not that he played during that time. The next second, she slaps her face with her palm. What's wrong with her? It's not like those girls know that about him.

But she really just wants to cover Kyo. Hide him away from the public eye so that no one can point and comment about him.

Why is he even wearing a uniform? Of course, the school has basketball jerseys for every boy, just like their gym outfits. But... wait, does he wear it every time he comes for a friendly match? But whatever the case, he shouldn't! He looks too hot! Those girls are ogling him and clicking pho—

Since when is she so possessive of him?

Just because he's dating her doesn't mean she gets to decide what he wears and what he doesn't. She's becoming like those controlling, selfish, and small-minded girlfriends.

When Tohru removes her palm from her face, she sees Kyo is looking at her. His grin turns ten times wider when their eyes meet. As he starts jogging up to her, she is splashed with a bucket of shame and guilt.