45. It Wasn't Meaningless

A/N: Thank you @IloveKyorufor requesting this prompt! I have always wanted to write this because I love angst and this is full of it. Anyway, it's an AU, and sorry for being soooo late! I hope y'all enjoy!

65. "Don't tell me to give up like all of it was meaningless."

The curse doesn't break.

Kyo's beads stuck around like the shackles they have always been. Akito doesn't get better; she doesn't melt at Tohru's friendship at the cliff, rather pushes Tohru off of it, and keeps clinging to Akira's sweet lies and Ren's venomous words. Thus, the cat's house isn't destroyed. Nothing changes for the zodiacs, nor will it ever.

Nevertheless, Kyo confessed to Tohru outside the hospital, and she accepted him with all her heart, regardless of his curse. They decided to fight back against the customs. Tohru remains steady on her mission to break the curse for the love of her life. But could the zodiac go against the God's will?

As painful as it is, the answer was no.

As a member of the zodiac, Kyo couldn't deny Akito's orders for long, and he had to succumb to her will within four months.

Momentarily, he did think of breaking up with Tohru, shattering her strong heart all over again. It baffled him how much power he had over this woman who was strong as steel. This woman... how could she love this cursed creature so much?

Well, she shouldn't have have to. She should be freed from the claws of the wretched monster that is named Kyo Sohma.

But he couldn't do that. Not again. He won't repeat history. This time, he makes his mind to fill Tohru with a lifetime amount of love until he has to leave her.

But that's not what Tohru wants. She doesn't want a lifetime amount of love in eight months. She wants him to be by her side for her whole life. Months weren't enough. Years won't be enough. Nor would decades.

Till her last breath, she wants him to stay with her.

But seems like her last breath is drawing closer, because in a blink of an eye, eight months had gone by, and now it's already the middle of March.

Graduation is only a week away. Only a week until her precious Kyo-kun is to be snatched away from her.

But that doesn't have to be the case. If she can break the curse. If she can convince Akito to free Kyo from his bleak future in the dark room.

Tohru is desperate.

She hasn't been able to sleep properly for months, often breaking out in cold sweats from the nightmares of Kyo being taken away from her. As much as being in a relationship with Kyo for the time being makes her happier than she has ever been, his impending confinement never leaves her mind like a hovering black cloud. That's why she will do anything to save him. She will beg and fall to her knees if she has to.

And that's exactly what she's doing.

"Please, Akito-san! Hear me out, please! Don't lock Kyo-kun up! It's not right! He didn't do anything to deserve this! I understand what you've been through yourself, but please, the zodiac members aren't at fault! You can't decide their future and make it unchanging! Please, Akito-san, I wanna talk to you face to face!"

Tohru is outside the main Sohma estate. Since she won't be let in and Akito won't reply to her letters, she decided to shout out her pleas from outside the gate. She knows Akito can hear her from the intercom, but Akito is deciding to stay quiet.

But what Tohru thought was staying quiet is just Akito accumulating all her anger.

Suddenly, the gate bursts out and Akito steps out.