3. Hair Braiding

69. "I'm just braiding your hair."

"Be careful," Kyo warned her and firmly held her arm as he helped Tohru climb the stairs. Only God and Tohru knew how she managed to sprint like a bat out of hell the second she saw Kyo outside the hospital when she couldn't even stand properly now.

Kyo and Tohru had just returned from Kazuma's house after a whole emotional rollercoaster ride—which is their heartfelt confession and the curse-breaking.

"You're worrying too much, Kyo-kun," Tohru told him with a light smile. As much as she loved being pampered by him, she hated being a burden on him.

"You can never be too careful," he shrugged and opened the door of her room. "Besides, I need to make up for not visitin' you at the hospital." There was a tint of guilt and regret in his tone. It was really faint and he did his best to hide it, but Tohru could see right through it.

She snapped her neck at him in an instant and immediately said, "That wasn't your fault. I was the one who forbade you." She lowered her head and tone as she said, "I'm sorry if I made you suffer."

He did suffer; it was a torment to him. But she had no reason to know it.

"It's okay. Forget it." He flashed her a small smile and dropped her prescriptions and medicines on the bed. Tohru felt at home being in her own room again, not to mention the love of her life was officially by her side now. Her eyes softened when she caught sight of her mother's photo, but it turned into an assuring smile, as if she was telling her mom that she was okay and she was happy, especially now that she can be with Kyo for the rest of her life.

"It's late," Kyo's voice pulled her out of her fallacy, "You change into your PJ's or whatever, I'll make the dinner."

Tohru instantly bolted to say, "Oh, no, Kyo-kun. Just give me a minute. You don't have to do anything. You have been through a lot. I'll prepare the dinner—"

"Like hell, you will." He tried to glare at her but failed and added in a soft tone, "You should be taking rest." then sterned his voice, "And no work for you until you're completely healed up."

"But Kyo—"

"Understand, Tohru?" he emphasized.

With no other option, Tohru gave up. "Understood, Kyo-kun."

"Good."

Pouting, Tohru sat on the stool of her dressing table.

Kyo smiled hopelessly, admiring how cute she was before turning around to leave. But he forgot to tell something. "And yeah, if you need somethin', call for me—" He stiffened as he watched Tohru struggled to tie her hair.

His heart dropped to a dark pit hole when she winced out in pain but immediately covered it up so that Kyo wouldn't see. But he had already seen, and he knew. No matter how much she tried to hide, he knew the stab wound in her hand by Akito was still fresh, and it hurt her, and it was all his fault. Regret started eating him on him again.

If only... If only he hadn't run away from her that day... No! He promised himself that he wouldn't dwell on the past anymore. Even God gave him a second chance by freeing him from the curse. But with or without the curse, he would move forward only. The future—yes, that's what he would focus on—a future with Tohru, and he would do whatever it took to make it as perfect as possible.

Tohru glanced at him from the mirror and noticed his conflicted look. She immediately knew what was going on in his head. "Ah, Kyo-kun, what are you making for dinner?" she tried to diverge him from thinking about the incident.

"Whatever you'd like to eat," he said, taking a few steps towards her.

"Then make whatever is the easiest for you." She smiled at him sweetly, warming his heart like the way she always did. She always had that effect on him—making him smile with her own smile, making his life better just by being herself and existing.

Tohru was still struggling to tie her hair up, not letting any pained expression resurface on her face, until Kyo gently took a hold of her wrist and motioned her not to pain herself anymore. "But Kyo-kun—"

"Lemme help." His cheeks were bright red as if it took him years' worth of courage just to say it out loud.

Her mouth hung open at his simple words. She couldn't believe it—Kyo was offering to tie her hair.

"I can't put it in a ponytail, but I can braid it for you. Is that okay?" he inquired, playing with the strands of her long silky dark brown hair. The sensation of his fingers scraping her scalp was... and he was standing so close behind her... Her cheeks heated up, turning into a deep shade of red, matching with his.

"You don't need to, Kyo-kun. I can manage on my o—" she politely tried to decline.

"Tohru, I'm helping you." It wasn't a question; it was a declaration. She fell silent.

Lowering her head, she nodded. She could feel her world spinning with how hot she felt at that moment.

It was new to her. It was the first time she fell in love, and fortunately that person reciprocates her feelings. It was truly a miracle for her since she is always so contented with what she has and never desires for more.

It was like a dream. And the person from her dreams was willing to help her tie her hair. It was a small thing, indeed. But it meant the world to her. Because it means, he cares.

He could have easily ignored her struggles and left, but he did not. Because he cares. Even though he was so bashful, he was willing. Just for her.

Never in her life did Tohru Honda feel she was anything extraordinary, but right now, as her boyfriend (she's not sure if she can call him that yet, but isn't that what he was supposed to be now?) was grabbing her hairbrush from the dressing table to brush her hair with the utmost care, it made her feel special. No, Kyo made her feel special.

Tohru sat obediently as his fingers brushed against the back of her neck while tried to gather all the hair, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Kyo-kun, seriously, you don't need to bot—" she tried her luck again.

Kyo brought his face closer to hers, their cheeks brushing against each other, and stated, "Shh. Stop fussing. I'm just braiding your hair."

That was enough for Tohru to shut up. She nodded, her eyes fixated on her lap, her head casted downwards. She felt like she would combust.

Every time his fingers would brush against her skin, no matter how lightly, it would spark a firework in her stomach. The more his touches would linger, the more she realized how much she has wanted them for so long. To feel him close. To be able to hug him. To have a right over him.

When Kyo was peacefully braiding her hair, a question occurred to Tohru. Her face lit up as she beamed, "Kyo-kun, how did you learn to do this?"

Kyo sweat-dropped. He let out a nervous chuckle. "That isn't important."

"No, please, I want to know," she pleaded and tilted her head back, looking into his auburn eyes with her brown ones intently.

Kyo had never been good at denying her anything, so how would he now? So he shifted his gaze sideways and started mumbling in an almost inaudible voice, "I-I, uh... I used to make braids with Shishou's hair."

"That's so cute of you, Kyo-kun!" she exclaimed, happy to learn something new about him. He really used to be a bashful, adorable kid.

"It was stupid of me!" He tied off Tohru's hair with a rubber band and flipped it over to her left shoulder.

"Aw, you must have been very upset when Shishou-san chopped off his hair," she sympathized, making his cheeks go redder.

"As if I will braid his hair even now!"