33. Cute Couple

37. "You would make such a cute couple."

Kyo will never understand the fuss about the Halloweens. What's so fun about dressing up stupidly and gaudily just to get candies?

People can use the money they use to make their costumes to buy candies. Problem solved. No Halloween required.

At least in that way, Kyo won't have to be bothered to help Tohru and Shigure decorate the house. Well, Shigure is doing nothing, actually. Just commanding the two of them like his servants.

"Seriously, why do we need to do this?" Kyo grumbles, putting up a fake spider web at the corner of the front door.

Tohru, who is setting up a God-and-Shigure-know-what trap, giggles and replies, "Because it's fun."

"Seriously. What isn't fun for you?" he asks in exasperation.

Tohru puts a hand on her chin and pretends to think deeply. "Let's see," she hums as he discreetly watches her adorable expression. Her face lights up. "I know! Physics!"

Kyo rolls his eyes fondly. "I bet even that's fun for you when that damn rat is helping you with it."

"Oh, that's right. Study sessions with Yuki-kun are fun. Oh, but they are productive too. It's not like we only goof around. We get studying done too-"

"Yeah, yeah, I understand," Kyo says, a smile threatening to tug on his lips.

"Less talking and more working, you naughty kids," Shigure sings, coming out of the living room while clapping his hands.

"Then do it yourself, useless dog," Kyo shouts at him and gets down from the stool after putting on the fake spider. Tohru is also done with whatever trap she was setting. He eyes the red laser and presumes if the laser is crossed, something like the hallway is supposed to go dark and the witch and zombie poster near the stair will glow up. "For real, who is gonna fall for that lame trick?"

"Who knows? Maybe the house kitten will be first to fall for it?" Shigure hums, dancing around a little with his fan before bouncing back inside.

Kyo huffs at Shigure's exaggerated antics, then holds the doorknob and half-turns to Tohru. "I'm going out for my morning run now."

Tohru's eyes widen. "What?! You haven't gone for it yet?" she exclaims. He had been just on his way to go for morning run a little late on the occasion of the weekend when he found her struggling to carry the pumpkins inside at the genkan - which is still a mystery to him, on how she managed to get them up the stairs leading up to the house. The point being, Kyo couldn't have not help Tohru in that situation. As he is about to reply, she gasps. "Oh, no! You must have been on your way when I asked for your help with the pumpkins. That was so inconsiderate of me. I'm so sorry-"

"Cut it out, will you?" he asserts sharply and regrets intensely when he saw the hurt look on her face.

Recently, he has been noticing that she tends to get even more hurt than usual with his words. As if his every little action affects her - which he finds absolutely ridiculous. He's not that important. Not to her. Not to anyone. She's just hurt because he's an asshole.

"It's no big deal." He lowers his voice, vanquishing the edges on it, his eyes dead set on his shoes. "I would have been an asshole to not give you a hand with those giant ass pumpkins. Besides," he scratches the back of his neck awkwardly, "You can... always ask me for help. I can't promise to be absolutely useful, but I can try."