17. Don't Pull Away

A/N: *Mature Content*

58. "Don't pull away. Not yet."

"Fuck, my back."

Kyo groaned as he had bent down to place an empty carton in the living room. He stood back up to stretch his back and looked around the stack of other cartons in the small tatami-floored room. He was yet left to unpack all of them, so he let out another groan, a little whiny one.

"This shit is neverending."

Kyo had woken up at dawn and had to board a train at nine in the morning with his girlfriend after having a very heavy farewell from their friends and family. He wasn't a fan of the sap, but Ayame's speech at the end did almost bring him to tears (much to Kyo's surprise, Ayame was very serious and mature for a few minutes, keyword: a few minutes).

After that, Kyo and Tohru finally reached their new place in the countryside after three hours of train ride. It was a small town near the ocean. Nothing too extraordinary. But peaceful and calm.

The two of them got their things and new furniture from the post office a few blocks away. That part was easy. Since the post office clerk helped them set up with a delivery truck. The hard part was, to bring everything to the fourth floor of their apartment, and there was no elevator.

Midway through their up and down adventure, some neighbors took pity and volunteered to help. They even got them dinner.

Tohru was so grateful, she almost cried out of joy. Kyo was grateful as well. Now, he wouldn't have to worry about Tohru being absolutely lonely here. Their neighbors were really friendly, and Tohru, of course with her charms, was already a member of their women's club there.

After dinner, Kyo and Tohru managed to set up their bed since it was of utmost priority to sleep on a soft mattress than on the hard floor after an exhausting day.

Once the bed was set up, Kyo and Tohru decided to freshen up, of course, Tohru pushing Kyo to go first. So after he had bathed, Tohru went in and Kyo decided to make things easier for her.

He unloaded a carton full of new kitchen appliances and set them down on the counter so that Tohru could arrange them to her liking whenever she liked.

Sure, their apartment was a mess now. But it was theirs. And soon, it will be just like they had pictured, even if it would be a pain in the neck and back.

While rolling his neck to loosen kinks on his way to the only bedroom of their apartment, Kyo heard the shower in the bathroom still running.

He could hear Tohru humming a little song. He blushed for no reason, then shook his head, feeling like a creep. He wasn't Shigure, he reminded himself.

Kyo put his hands on the doorknob and stopped right there.

It was a strange feeling. One that Kyo couldn't quite put his finger on.

Why was he feeling so shy all of a sudden? Why was he having a hard time breathing? And why is he running his hand through his damp orange hair?

Simple.

Because the room he was going to enter wasn't his own alone. It was his and Tohru's bedroom. Their bedroom.

It wasn't that Kyo has never slept in the same room as Tohru. Heck, he practically lived in her bedroom at night in Shigure's house, sleeping, cuddling, and doing some other things. 

But it still had been her room. Not theirs. They still had to tiptoe. He had to check for clear coast every night before he went to her room and got out of her room in the morning to go out for his run. Yuki waking up late had made it easier, but that nocturnal rodent had Kyo's heart in his mouth every time he had to go to the bathroom at night from Tohru's room. And of course, there always was Shigure, their guardian. It was quite hard to tell if he was encouraging them to be more intimate or restraining them.