9. We Are Married!

22. "We are married!"

The crinkling sound of the champagne glasses, the smell of booze filled the air. It was a celebration, a get-together where everyone ensured their presence, no matter what-the New Year's Banquet.

Of course, it was different than the zodiacs one with Akito. It was a new tradition now. Even the partners and close friends of the former zodiacs could attend it.

That's why right now most of them were enjoying themselves to the fullest, and the rest of them were suffering in misery. One of those miserable people was Kyo Sohma.

"Tohru, don't drink anymore. I beg of you!" Kyo pleaded, clasping his hands together in front of Tohru, who was holding a bottle of sake in her hand with a big goofy grin etched on her face.

"Oh, god, Kyo-kun, don't do that. It hurts me a lot. The strong, stoic Kyo-kun is the one I love," she confessed in a whiny tone, making his cheeks go red out of embarrassment.

Everyone started laughing.

"What's wrong with that? My Kyo darling really is strong and stoic," Kagura added dramatically, placing a hand on Kyo's shoulder. She nowadays teased him by acting like her old obsessive self, especially now that she had completely moved on from him and had a boyfriend of herself.

"There's nothing with that. It's the way Tohru admitted it. It makes the stupid cat sound great." Yuki chuckled.

"Shut up, Rat."

"But you gotta admit, Kyo-kun, Tohru-kun is quite bold and straightforward right now. You can get her to spill some beans," Shigure chimed in, raising his glass in the air.

"You don't have a right to talk, asshole." Kyo glared at Shigure, the main culprit behind Tohru's condition. His knuckles were itching to connect with Shigure's face, but too bad Kyo now didn't possess the irrationality of his teenage days.

"What, me? How rude, Kyo-kun!" Shigure squirmed dramatically. "Look, Haa-san, Kyo-kun is accusing me."

"I don't see anything wrong with that." Hatori turned away his face from him.

"Meanie Haa-san," Shigure sulked.

"Don't be upset, Shigure-san. I'm sure Hatori-san really cares, but he doesn't want to show. He's a real softie, I promise," Tohru spoke up Shigure before Ayame could jump out to display his immense love for his Gure-san.

Hatori's eyes rose in shock.

"Really, Tohru-kun?" Shigure wept.

"Yeshh!" Tohru giggled sheepishly, scuffling on her steps, almost tangling up with her own legs. Kyo caught her by the shoulder before she could trip on her face.

"Really..." Kyo huffed. "Stay still, will you?"

"I can't seem to stay still whenever I see you, Kyo-kun." Tohru giggled and turned around. She snaked her arms around his neck, standing on her tiptoes.

"What... what are you doing, Tohru?" Kyo sweat-dropped. A mild blush rose to his cheek as she started brushing her body with him in front of others.

"Just what we do every day." She sang happily, placing a kiss on his jawline.

"Go, Honda," Haru cheered in his usual flat voice.

The sensible ones looked away, and the nonsensical ones gushed over the couple.

"Tohru, we are not at home," Kyo reasoned and tried to get her hands off him. He would admit that he didn't usually feel shame in displaying affection to Tohru, but knowing that literally every person in the room had their eyes on them was extremely uncomfortable.